What do you dive in?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
When I bought the Taurus, I checked in the manual. It says always use OD for normal driving and to only use drive for steep inclines and towing.

I do what the manual says...always overdrive.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Always OD. Transmission PCM "learned" my driving stile and shifts appropriatelly.
If I want to downshift faster, I just press harder on gas. I want to upshift - I let go a little of gas pedal.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Agreed. All you wanna be boy racers out there that screw around shifting between gears all the time...you are the ultimate cause of your transmission failing. It's not designed to operate as a manual transmission, or to do 'power shifts' up and down. As a last resort, read the goddamn owner's manual.
Not trying to start something here, but whats so different about the tranny changing the gear versus you changing it to Drive when you do city driving or when you're in a hilly area where 4th gear will lug the engine? (and it's often reluctant to shift out)

Essentially as long as you're not tooling around with dropping it to 2 and 1 You'll be fine. But since the factory programming is assinine, sometimes the car needs a little help to know where it needs to be. You're causing no more damage to the tranny than if the tranny were to soft shift back and forth from OD to D and back. (producing heat and wear) Instead by shifting to D in hilly areas (below cruise speed) you're saving the trans from producing excessive shifts ("searching") that will cause it to wear out sooner.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i use "d" in town because my trans will warm up and when it does it acts like it dont know what gear to go to and give me whiplash in "od". that is unless im on the interstate and then i start out in "d" then move to "od" after im going 60mph.

·
Registered
29 Posts
my transmission started to slip in od around town. i now start in d and when i get to 3,000 rpm i shift to od. i've been doing this for 3 months and the tranny is till holding up.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Factory Advice

When I bought the Taurus, I checked in the manual. It says always use OD for normal driving and to only use drive for steep inclines and towing.

I do what the manual says...always overdrive.
Always if a stretch, but the people who design, test, and warrent this thing usually know much more than the drivers. I can tell you, one of the dumbest things I ever did was to pull a U-Haul full of furniture with a '92 3.8L with the slush box tranny in OD on a 90 degree day. I got about 60 miles and it started to smoke, and I stopped at a gas station. The oil was running out the bell housing in a stream. I had to rent a truck and towing dolly to get my furniture 600 miles and the car home. New torque conv cost about $800 instlled. That trip cost me about $2k. Anyway that car by it's book had no towing allowed. I did tow again with it but NOT IN OD.

I have had these year cars with auto.
72, 72, 80, 80, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 90, 91, 92, 92, 93, 95, 01, 02, 03.

Sold one, traded three, now own three. All the others gifted to my kids. Never lost an engine or tran, most over 100K miles when gifted and the Lincolns traded when they got near 100K. Last time I changed fluid was on the 73 Dodge Dart when it had a failed filter which plugged the pump inlet. The '91 Lincoln was recalled and they did something to the tran. So, I can't see auto trns as much of an issue.

And as an aside: My brother is a farmer and buys a new f-150 everyother year. He told me the dealers are to tell each new owner to be sure to never tow in OD. Drive in OD, but NEVER tow. Third gear is direct drive, no gears and is much stronger. There is a reason.

Happy shifting.

-chart-

·
Registered
54 Posts
for me it depends. most of the time i use the overdrive position, understand that even when in overdrive position the trans wont shift into overdrive until the cars road speed reaches a certain point, usually 38-40mph. however if i am driving in a hilly area where the trans would be shifting into and out of overdrive often, then i drop to D3 until i am out of that area.

my only grip with ford overdrive automatics is that there is no provision for holding second gear without doing the 1-3-1 dance with the stock trans. i know that lentech automatics has a valve body for the rwd AOD that changes that, but is there one available for the front drive autos?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I thought this died in '08.
It did, but n00bs keep bumping up old-ass topics like it's going out of style. Nothing like shouting in an empty room, amirite?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Will not use OD except freeway....

I started a thread about a problem with the 97 Taurus AX4N going into neutral every time i stopped at a light or stop sign.

Finally found out there is a weak piston inside the tranny that causes this problem. The replacement is a more sturdy design that any good transmission shop can tell you about.

Because the cost to repair the tranny, and because it shifts perfect in drive, but Not Overdrive, the Taurus will no longer be driven in OD except on the freeway. It shifts up through the gears fine in OD, just goes to neutral at stops.

If not for this problem of neutral @ stop I would still recommend always placing the shifter in OD unless i'm backing up.

I changed the fluid and filter, both were in good shape, and will continue to drive without OD until the tranny quits working.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I drive in overdrive just about all the time, however I do use the normal drive extensively to engine break when coming to an exit or down a hill. It does a damn fine job of holding the car at 65 on a nice downgrade.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Cheaper?

I drive in overdrive just about all the time, however I do use the normal drive extensively to engine break when coming to an exit or down a hill. It does a damn fine job of holding the car at 65 on a nice downgrade.
OK what is cheaper to repari, brakes, or trans.?

-chart-

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.