Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 vulcan 50k

Do I need to replace spark plugs? I don't have a user manual (second hand purchase) and don't know replacement interval. My old 97 Chevy had 100k mile spark plugs and they indeed last 100k. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
They say that they are 100k plugs. Mine were pretty done at 75k.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
No such animal as 100k plugs in my experiences.

I see them 'go' over 100k quite often, but they are dogged out pretty bad and usually killing fuel economy. I saw one car with 162,000 on original rear plugs a few weeks ago and posted pictures. One plug hadn't fired in months and was completely covered in carbon buildup. Another plug had a .092 gap - stock V8 SHO is ~.044 gap. Car ran so bad it was sold as a camfailed V8 SHO.

I would say that for best performance, no more than 60,000 on even the best sparkplugs should be about when I'd want them out of there.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
The ONLY kind of plug that will FOR SURE last 100,000 miles is an Iridium spark plug. Autolite, Denso, NGK, and Bosch make them. I prefer anything but the Bosch. Bosch work, but because of their track record with the platinum plugs and Fords, I just don't want to chance it. The other 3 I've used myself, and they ALL work fine. Denso and NGK are more expensive, but a little better built than Autolite, but Autolite will still give perfectly fine service as well for the cost.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Here's a set of "100k mile" plugs out of my Beetle. Previous owner didnt change them, I got it at 108k

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm planning on replacing mine at 50k. I'm half-tempted to do it now, but its probably a little over-kill. I just bought my Taurus and I'm at 31,800 so I'm more worried about flushing the trans and replacing the filter. I just replaced my cabin filter a couple of days ago when I installed the rainhat extension. It was certainly due. Can't complain though, aside from the cabin filter(which they probably didn't know was installed) the car was very well maintained and low miles.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My 96 Taurus wagon with the Vulcan motor got new plugs after I purchased it with 114,000 miles on it. The plugs looked worn, but not that bad and the car ran fairly well.
Last summer I bought an 05 Sable with the Duratec motor and 42,000 miles and I installed new Bosch Iridium Plus 4's at 53,000 miles although I must admit that the originals looked really good and could have gone much longer before needing replacement. I mentioned the Bosch plugs because they get a bad rap on this site from people who probably did not do a top job when changing out the original plugs. Using anti-seize on the plug threads, tightening to the correct torque setting, and most importantly using liberal amounts of dielectric grease inside the plug boots and coil plugs on Vulcan's and Duratec's with plug wires. And, if changing wires always use the premium wire sets rather than the standard OEM versions. These are usually described as Mag style wires having a center core of wound stainless wire rather than some type of carbon impregnated glass fiber core. And, yes the new Bosch's run great. Smooth and a small but very real increase in mileage (I have a ScanGauge II installed).

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (RPFlloyd @ May 29 2009, 06:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728910
Plugs are not that expensive. Why push it?[/b]
That's the most convincing statement. I now remember I had to pay the shop because I couldn't remove the 10 year old spark plugs in the Chevy. They were rusted in. I saved $20 and paid someone else $90. Thanks everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts