Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
158 Posts
My front springs never broke on me, Thank God, I could imagine how to keep control of the car. These were my rear springs, which is supposed to be stronger, I now will only use quick struts, new springs and struts together, my personal favorite is the Monroe or Shoxtec quick struts (same manufacturer as Monroe but a whole lot cheaper) and the Police versions of them, ride is a touch stiffer but the car handles like it is on rails. These broken springs cost me 2 very new Michelin MXV4s, $300 down the tubes.
Natural material Fish Wood Terrestrial plant Python
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Wire
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Wood
Purple Violet Wood Tints and shades Magenta
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Wood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle wheel
Water Wall Gas Font Snout
Automotive tire Wood Art Gas Pipeline transport

Attachments

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
My 07 Taurus rear end was feeling very loose so I replaced the struts with KYB pre loaded struts and its a night and day difference. KYB all the way!
Pic KYB fronts, OE (not yet broken) beside KYB. KYB used one full coil turn compared to OE. Spring tec can tell you (text book) more turns for same load/height means less stress on the metal. Of course, the rod size and free length has to be calculated to give on the vehicle ride height. Which was correct for mine. BUT local shop did my '03 wagon in a hurry with a broken spring, they used Monroe as it was available off the shelf. Ride height 1.5" too high. Did not settle.
At the JY lots of times. Ford did not patent the broken spring thing. Shared across the brands.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Taurus' had a recall for the springs, they put a shield at the bottom of the spring mount (I know it was for the NE, not sure if the the whole northern part of the country) to protect against snow and salt erosion of the spring, didn't they do anything for the Sable or Lincoln?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Last summer pass side front spring on the 95 Vulcan literally expoded as I was pulling out of the driveway. Broke into at least 6 pieces. and made quite a BANG. They were the original struts that had lived thru 25 Wisconsin winters. Got some Monroe loaded struts from RA for about $100 that will hopefully last the life of the car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Depending on how you drive and road conditions Monroe's quick struts last 7-10 years (strut only) the spring will last a lot longer but when the ride goes do another quick strut, a whole lot cheaper to change than just the strut itself, no compression of the spring or unbolting of the upper mount.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Taurus' had a recall for the springs, they put a shield at the bottom of the spring mount (I know it was for the NE, not sure if the the whole northern part of the country) to protect against snow and salt erosion of the spring, didn't they do anything for the Sable or Lincoln?
Been There! It worked. WHEN the spring broke.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Always the case, after it happens! The front ones on my car, I was told, were fine when the shield was put in, the rears were bad

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've replaced mine front and back . The bulls do have notorious sag so I replaced the strut/spring as an assembly and pretty pleased with load capacity/suspension height/handling.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts