Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL my last fill up I had 88 Miles and 9.6 gallons (Full Tank).

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by UnDeR EsTiMaTeD@Jan 12 2004, 12:24 AM
Are you sure someone didn't drill a hole in your tank? <_<

But that's terrible mileage. Does your Vulcan run alright?
I agree, that's some serious badness. With that kinda mileage, you must be swapping our spark plugs after every trip, and don't get me started on your cats. You sure your fuel lines arn't leaking? No V6 I've ever heard about would be able to keep running at that kinda mileage

·
Registered
79 Posts
This thread got me wondering, what is the average milage for a tank of gas?

josh

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by cable_kid05@Jan 12 2004, 12:38 AM

josh
On my 94 Taurus 3.0L I had the following information:
66,540 miles driven (bought with 20K sold with 86.5K)
2961.282 gallons of fuel used
Lowest MPG 18.150 - 100% city
Highest MPG 31.990 - 100% hwy - summer
22.47 AVG MPG

On my 00 Sable 24V I have the following information:
5574.10 miles driven since purchased
243.790 gallons of fuel used
Lowest MPG 19.347 - 100% city
Highest MPG 28.850 - 100% hwy - fall
22.864 AVG MPG

And yes, I am pretty anal about recording and calculating my fuel mileage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
EWWW hes like my dad and his Toyta Prius just kidding.
but yeah 9mpg is not that bad for my S4 when im on it but im making some horsepower and you well not but still i have never heard of a V6 getting 9mpg with out forced induction.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm sure I could do that in my V-6 Explorer when towing a boat.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by BMWevo600@Jan 12 2004, 02:17 AM
EWWW hes like my dad and his Toyta Prius just kidding.
but yeah 9mpg is not that bad for my S4 when im on it but im making some horsepower and you well not but still i have never heard of a V6 getting 9mpg with out forced induction.
Who do you think I learned it from?

I am just more advanced than my Dad. He still uses his little paper log book he keeps in the car. I use a spreadsheet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I usually get around 300 miles per tank.

J

·
0 Posts
I get an average of 21 mpg in the city IIRC, the worst I was ever able to pull off was 17 I think and that was when I was pretending I was in a NASCAR race for 3 days straight (j/k - I had a TON of meetings and crap I had to do all over the place, it was a really busy few days of work and I was all over it trying to get to places b/c I double booked and was running late, etc. lol) On my last longer trip that was approx. 400 miles each way to Indiana, I averaged slightly over 30mpg averaging about 77mph.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I can get under 10mpg in my SHO if I race light-to-light all the way to and from work every day, but the Vulcan refuses to consume more than 13mpg. And to answer everybody's next question, no there is nothing mechanically wrong with either of my cars. I drive about 7 miles to work, and the longest stretch between lights is about 1/8 mile. When I drive my SHO like a normal person, I get around 18mpg in the city. Highway numbers are always close to 30mpg, even when passing frequently and cruising at 80mph. In the city, I am happy any time I hit 200 miles before I have to get gas.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by BruiserCruiser@Jan 12 2004, 12:12 AM
LOL my last fill up I had 88 Miles and 9.6 gallons (Full Tank).
check the following:

Fuel line supply line
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Air Filter
also treat the Fuel Injectors with a decent Fuel Treatment Formula (recommended: VALVOLINE MAX LIFE)

88 miles on 9 gallons is horrible ratio. make sure your fuel line is ok! are you sure there is no leaks etc to the line?

Also does your car smoke when warming up?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by cable_kid05@Jan 12 2004, 12:38 AM

josh
16 mpg on average (City)
21 on Highway

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jan 12 2004, 09:25 AM
I can get under 10mpg in my SHO if I race light-to-light all the way to and from work every day, but the Vulcan refuses to consume more than 13mpg. And to answer everybody's next question, no there is nothing mechanically wrong with either of my cars. I drive about 7 miles to work, and the longest stretch between lights is about 1/8 mile. When I drive my SHO like a normal person, I get around 18mpg in the city. Highway numbers are always close to 30mpg, even when passing frequently and cruising at 80mph. In the city, I am happy any time I hit 200 miles before I have to get gas.
i agree ....if you do a lot of stop-and-go, you will consume more gas as you are stepping on the gas pedal more frequently

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
My last fill up i put in 15-16 gallons of gas...I got around 200 miles out of that tank...so thats 13mpg on my duratec?...oh yeah, all highway miles, if i recall i'm supposed to get 450 miles to the tank? However i pumped 7 gallons in my tank the other day when i was on empty, and i got 130 miles on it..thats closer to 19mpg. I miss my tempo <_< But I like the Duratec's highway madness.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I am sure that I have no leaks. This car is running rich though. I think that a new catalytic converter is needed... anyone agree? who knows maybe that car for sale is a better bargain... a 1962 Ford Galaxie with a 390.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Oxygen sensors could be the culprit.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I can get some really good numbers on the highway (25-26MPG), but get absolute crap in the city (12-13MPG). I know there's going to be a difference between highway and city driving, but that gap seems pretty big for me. When SPring comes around she's getting a tune-up. We'll see how that goes.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts