Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes 03 SE was a former fleet vehicle (Enterprise). It has power locks, but we didnt get any remotes when we bought it from the dealer. It only has one keyhole on the driver door, none on the passenger door. It also doesnt have the auto-lok feature when you put it in drive like our 03 Focus has.

How do you tell if the car has keyless?

If it doesnt, I can add aftermarket keyless for about $150. I would rather have the factory keyless if it can be added. Ford doesnt list it as an option, but on my 02 Ram it was just a module that plugged into the wiring harness.

If it is an add-on module then I may be able to pull one from a salvage yard.

Of course the dealer is no help at all.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Jun 21 2004, 08:19 PM
I would guess it didn't come with keyless since autolocks usually come with keyless.
I have an '03 SE that is former fleet as well. My doors do lock when I go into drive, however. If anybody can let me know how to tell if there's a keyless module installed, please let me know, thanks! Plus, the dealer only gave me one key, and that's aggrivating as hell having to purchase a transponder chipped key.

Any help on the keyless is appreciated!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would think it is keyless. Former owners or place you bought it probly kept the key fobs. Your doors should lock going into drive. Its probly a fuse blownn or pulled. Ford cars have auto lockin doors at least since 85.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Yes it does have keyless. Check with a dealer to see about getting new key fobs :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
eBay.

I'm pretty sure that if they look like this, they will work. Not 100%, so buy at your own risk.

I have a couple extra ones for my car, because the alarm uses different ones. But I don't know if it would be worth 5 bucks each to find them (I have no idea where I put them).

Borrow a friends, if you want to make sure that everything is working on the car's end. Look here to see how to program your car to accept keyfobs.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Oh, and the doors locking when you put the car in drive might be one of those features that you can turn on/off (like seatbelt reminder). Check your owner's manual.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Also eBay looks to be a cheaper place to get your PATS key, instead of the dealer (go figure). Look in my above post for a link to programming them. If you only have one key to begin with, you will need a NGS tool (dealership). But if you have 2, adding another can be done yourself.

·
Registered
712 Posts
G

·
eCar, i remember reading that in my manual for my 00 that it is a on/off feature. for the auto locks.. i would have to double check, its too late now its midnight here

·
Registered
30 Posts
Enterprise does not use remote entry. I rent from them about once a week from basic sedans to Full size SUV's and they never issue a remote. They probably have also turned off the auto locks.

They also give you two keys on one key chain that you can't sepperate :headscratch:

·
Registered
186 Posts
My '02 had Keyless Entry/Access, and it has the number pad on the driver's door. Is this standard with KA?

And yes, the manual tells you that you can turn off the Auto-Lock feature, along with toggleing a number of other functions.

I think my dealer wants $35 per key, and I don't know what the remotes go for.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ya the fleet versionof the 03 SE, I think they keyless is an option. Oddly, a red 03 SE we rented back in October had keyless fob. The one we rented recently (03) lacked the key fob. Just get the keyfob off ebay and follow the programming instructions from your manual...or download the manual from the MotorCraft site.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, Ive been busy at work and had to put keyless on hold. My 03 SE doesnt have keyless. Since it was a fleet vehicle, it didnt come on it. Im having a hard time believing that Ford makes this so hard.

My stepson had a heart attack last Thursday, its serious but he will come out of it ok. My wife is home for a couple weeks and I want to get keyless installed before she gets back.

Ive got to figure out if I can pull a module out of the j-yard and plug it in or if I have to go aftermarket.

Someone on the world wide web must know the answer.............

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Originally posted by dbucher9@Jul 17 2004, 10:59 AM
Enterprise does not use remote entry. I rent from them about once a week from basic sedans to Full size SUV's and they never issue a remote. They probably have also turned off the auto locks.

They also give you two keys on one key chain that you can't sepperate :headscratch:
Maybe on some model rentals, but not all. My wife recently rented a 2003 Ford F-150 from Enterprise and they gave her one set of keys with the keyless keyfob attached. Like I said it may just be the ones that you rent, but not Enterprise as a whole.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My dad has a factory keyless system on his 92 Park Avenue. Last december I had to get a keyfob from the dealer. It cost $97 for the fob and another $30 to program it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
with the drivers door closed and all accesories off- place the ingnition key into the ignition and quickly turn it between Off and the ACC position 8 times, DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE ON AT ALL> On the 8th time leave the key in the ACC position and your door locks should lock and unlock by themselves.
If they lock/unlock you do have keyless entry... so... Buy a remote off ebay, do the ingition switch trick again, immediatly after the doors lock and unlock (within 5 seconds) press the lock button on your remote and the remote will become programmed to your car!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally posted by thsncc1701@Jan 16 2005, 03:07 AM
My dad has a factory keyless system on his 92 Park Avenue. Last december I had to get a keyfob from the dealer. It cost $97 for the fob and another $30 to program it!
I hear ya, I went to a yard sale once and picked up 2 GM RKE fobs for $2 a peice. You can program them yourself. IIRC the instructions are inside it when you open it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts