Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

2-Part question here...

I had the '98 Taurus aligned a couple of months back and put two used tires on due to inside wear on the right front. Both lower ball joints and driver side tie rod end was replaced. The alignment shop said that in order to get the alignment any "better" the car needs a camber kit.

My first response to anyone would be to question whether or not it really needs it. I'm inclined to trust the shop as I've given them plenty of business over the years, as has my father who sells cars and has sent many vehicles to him. So he seems like an upstanding gentleman......but there's still a seed of doubt.

Well the inside of the "new" (used) passenger tire has worn significantly. So I'm assuming a camber kit is in order.

I've seen several listings online and they don't seem to be too awfully expensive.... The labor is what will eat you alive. I am aware that welding and drilling is involved. So..... How involved is installing one yourself??? Are precision measuring devices required??

I've heard of another local guy who claims he can align vehicles needing a camber kit without using the camber kit. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it almost sounds like jerry-rigging. Does this sound like an acceptable repair? Front suspension geometry is not my forte'.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Most cars you need a camber kit for, but they are not need for the Taurus front suspension.

The tops of the strut towers are spot welded into place. The shop can drill the spot welds and adjust the camber and castor by moving the struts. Also, check to make sure the car doesn't have a broken spring, the subframe is centered and the subframe mounts are in good shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts