Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Distributor screaming when car is warming up!!!!
Frequency and intensity of the sound increases with the engine rph.
Any suggestions?? Thanks.

·
Registered
486 Posts
i agree. i dont think i have ever heard a distributor screaming in my life.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've been getting weird Chirping noise when the car is warming up and it has nothing to do with the belt i had that replaced and it didn't solve anything.

I had a neighbor with a set of mechanic stethescops check out the engine and he claims the noise is coming from the distributor shaft that is located just to the top of the Thermostat Housing and roughly below the throttle body, it's a small cap with two allan screws in it. I noticed it only does it when it's extremely cold out.

Since our cars have Coil Packs the Distributor doesn't need a cap and rotor, but you still need the shaft to drive the oil pump, from what I understand from what i've been told is there's a bearing in there that wears out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
A 1995 Taurus 3.8 does not have a "coil pack"; it has a distributor and cap, like God intended. However, I don't ever recall hearing one scream before...

It sounds a lot like you have a squealing alternator or a dried-out serpentine belt. Try squirting something wet on the inside of the belt to see if the noise changes. If it does, you've found the problem. Now, go change the belt.

Other sources are a belt tensioner bearing, possibly a water pump going south, or any one of the belt-driven engine accessories.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Sablewagon@Jan 6 2004, 03:24 AM
A 1995 Taurus 3.8 does not have a "coil pack"; it has a distributor and cap, like God intended. However, I don't ever recall hearing one scream before...

It sounds a lot like you have a squealing alternator or a dried-out serpentine belt. Try squirting something wet on the inside of the belt to see if the noise changes. If it does, you've found the problem. Now, go change the belt.

Other sources are a belt tensioner bearing, possibly a water pump going south, or any one of the belt-driven engine accessories.
He has a 98, with a coil pack. The black thing on top of that is the cam sensor. Doesn't matter here though.

If it is the distributor, there are bronze bushings in the housing that may be worn.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Interesting. Your problem sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing when ever I start my car in the morning or when my engine is cold. It's really loud and annoying. I know it's not the alternator or the belt or the water pump. Those checked out fine. I checked the belt tensioner and I sprayed it with WD-40, but that didn't seem to help it at all either. Originally I thought it was my starter going bad, because the sound was like the bendex was not disengaging, so I bought a new starter. Nope, that wasn't the problem.

So, I was thinking it could be my coil pack. In fact, I'm waiting for it to be shipped in so I can replace it. I don't even know if that's the problem. I've been getting different responses from different people. Even some of the mechanics that I have taken it to, don't know what it is either.

I have a '99 w/a Duratec and I don't have a distributor or a cap.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Maybe the sound is internal? As in, maybe it's inside the engine, perhaps valvetrain? Also, my Idle Air Valve screamed pretty loud when it was dirty...make sure to keep that thing clean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It turned out to be weird. Today is the coldest day so far, about 15 degree, and the sound didn't come up. But in normal cold days, it was there.

So, it has a favorable temperature range!!

What can I do? Well I'll just wait until the thing is really down. then I'm sure I'll find where the problem is.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Can you post an audoi clip?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by uniqhan@Jan 5 2004, 08:15 PM
Distributor screaming when car is warming up!!!!
Frequency and intensity of the sound increases with the engine rph.
Any suggestions?? Thanks.
Hmm....My Can also does the same thing. Is this a major problem? What happens if you ignore it? I always thought it was part of the normal warm up process. What are the procedures taken to fix it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by eCarâ„¢@Jan 6 2004, 09:12 PM
Can you post an audoi clip?
I would like to. But recently the sound didn't come up again.

So, maybe I'm gonna ignore it, except using some WD40.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts