Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I mount head unit in the trunk, will remote control signal reach it?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
more then likely no. i have had trouble getting the remote to work when i installed the head unit in the glove box. if the glove box was open it worked. when closed it didnt. unless you install mirrors for the ir signal to bounce off of.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
^^^^^ +1

The remotes I am aware of operate via infrared, just like a TV remote. Unobstructed line of sight from remote to HU is needed. Of course, with a wired remote, it doesnt matter.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the explanation.
Another question. How can I remove the OEM 'radio', I mean the aluminum box behind the AC control panel (not the RCU in the trunk). I would like to mount an aftermarket headunit where the OEM radio is. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
you need the radio keys. insert them into the little openings on the dash and pull it out. a dash kit is needed with harness for the new install. metra etc...
do you have the mach rcu or standard? the mach is a big improvement in sound. i dont turn mine over half way. at the 3rd bar my mirrors shake.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I would like to mount a receiver behind the AC control panel without a metra harness. I cannot figure out how to remove OEM radio from the plastic AC control panel. Does anyone know how to?

I will bypass RCU. I will hardwire HU to individual speakers.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Be aware: If you have EATC, you cannot separate HVAC from stereo controls within the head unit.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have knobs, not EATC.
The head is currently mounted under the cigarette lighter. I want to hide it behind the AC control panel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts