Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I had my bull, the odometer display on the instrument cluster never worked right. During the day it is unreadable, it's lit up dim at night. Is this a common issue?

How can I fix this?

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Are your other lights dim in the dash or just the odometer area? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One culprit might be the I/P dimmer switch. Get a schematic and jump voltage from positive terminal to output terminal on the connector.
You're talking about the dimmer switch for the dome lights and instrument cluster right? Right next to the headlights switch?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I noticed if I dim everything super low, it goes bright for a split second...
There are only so many things that could be causing this. The most likely issue is something to do with the dimmer switch (it's going bad, dirty contacts or similar). There is also a main electrical feed right behind the dash which might be coming loose, has a wire pinched, bad ground or similar, but if it was this you should be showing other instrument issues. A previous owner of the car might have also rewired something, so don't rule that out, especially since it's been like this since you've bought the car. Would need more information to diagnose further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts