Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of your excellent posts have inspired me to fix some minor items on my 1966 Taurus GL (3.0 Vulcan, Column Shifter, 185K miles, Rose Mist, Ford accessory spoiler) before I reluctantly sell it and move my 1999 Taurus SE (152K miles) into "emergency backup car" status.

Over the weekend, I decided to remove my gauge cluster to replace some long burned out bulbs. Special thanks to Firesprit for the excellent instructions at: http://www.tauruscarclub.com/wiki/index.ph...n_Shift_Only%29

I've got everything removed and am ready to take the cluster out so I can get to the bulbs. One question - Is there an easy/quick way to disconnect the PRNDD1 (or PRNDL in "old school" language) indicator from the gauge cluster :dunno: ? There is a small bolt at the bottom of the gauge cluster where the cable enters, and then the cable snakes around the bottom of the steering column to the othe side where there is (what appears to be) a small adjusting knob.

I was unsure which end of the cable I should attempt to disconnect - and HOW! I didn't want this to turn into one of those "3 hours & 50 screws" projects, just to have someone say something like "DUDE - you didn't just pull that little pin??, it come RIGHT out..... :rofl2: ).

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
QUOTE (Big Chief @ Jul 7 2009, 07:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737632
All of your excellent posts have inspired me to fix some minor items on my 1966 Taurus GL (3.0 Vulcan, Column Shifter, 185K miles, Rose Mist, Ford accessory spoiler)[/b]
1966 <strike>Wow I didn't know that....</strike>
You meant 1996 didn't you. Shucks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 7 2009, 08:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737638
QUOTE (Big Chief @ Jul 7 2009, 07:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737632
All of your excellent posts have inspired me to fix some minor items on my 1966 Taurus GL (3.0 Vulcan, Column Shifter, 185K miles, Rose Mist, Ford accessory spoiler)[/b]
1966 <strike>Wow I didn't know that....</strike>
You meant 1996 didn't you. Shucks!
[/b][/quote]

thesavo is correct. It is a '96. One owner, good runner, getting a little rear wheel well rust.

BTW - I found the solution to my question. I knew you guys had the answers :notworthy: ! The two halves of the steering column trim need to come off. See it at: http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/L...Cluster_Gen_III - about halfway down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts