Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm parting out a 91 wagon, and have someone interested in the ac compressor. Can I remove this myself? I didn't test the ac to see if it worked, and I've cut too much of the wiring harness to work now, Chilton suggests 91 may be R12, but even with R134a, they say it should be done professionally.
Can I take out the compressor myself? Can a pro come to me do discharge the system-the car doesn't run?
TIA!

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discharging the A/C system properly would be the best way to protect the environment from R-12 or R-134a. That being said...
I just threw on some gloves, glasses (just in case), and loosened the A/C line from the compressor until freon began to release. Once the pressure is gone, remove the line and then the compressor.

Hopefully Josh Mallow isn't reading this. :unsure:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just threw on some gloves, glasses (just in case), and loosened the A/C line ....
That's what I forgot when I did that! I knew it was something but I just couldn't put my finger on it. :lol2: :lol2:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Get a recharging kit. Hook it up the the valve. Open the valve. Don't put the bottle on.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The LEGAL way, use an EPA approved recovery equipment.

The way that works, use the recharge kit and hook up the hose to the low side, open it up, and let it drain.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
We cut the ac line in my brother's SHO cuz the ac compressor was broke anyways. We figured there was no freon in it anyways cuz it hadnt been used for years. It was not fun getting a lungfull of R12. :blink:

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Sep 20 2004, 11:39 PM
We cut the ac line in my brother's SHO cuz the ac compressor was broke anyways. We figured there was no freon in it anyways cuz it hadnt been used for years. It was not fun getting a lungfull of R12. :blink:
Could've been worse. R-134a can lead to testicular cancer if inhaled in large quantities! :blink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
yes always use a mask, respirator and gloves when working w/freon.
if you get some on you or in lungs swallow some black charcoal
(in capsule) it absorbs 80x it's wieght in toxic chemicals, also oxygen
or 03 activated oxygen is the greatest remover of chemicals in the
body. steam sauna is great detoxifier. freon can cause problems for
years to come, so stay clear of all chemicals, always wear rubber gloves.
hc dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts