Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Taurus GL, with the stock Transmission cooler in the radiator.

A week after I got the car, I had a slight leak <_< from the radiator from where the bottom tansmission line enters the chamber, a little tug on it with a wrench and it stopped (not much room to do anything else) :unsure:

However, a few days ago, I noticed two small (about the size of a silver half dollar each) marks under my car every time i park it :blink: , just assumed it was slightly more coolent, and put some stop-leak in.

The problem has not gone away :angry: , the other day, I parked on concrete, and noticed that the puddles are red, instead of green.... :(

I got under there, and noticed a slight drip from the steel line coming from the transmission, right where it feeds into the bushing on the radiator, just on the outside of where i had to play around with the coolent leak. :rolleyes:

My question is this. Should I try to replace those lines and bushings? or should I just bypass the Tranny cooler altogether, and install an aftermarket one, (such as a Hayden 1404 or the sort)

Im not overly concerned with which one will be easier or harder, I'm just more concerned about getting it fixed by whatever method possable.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would and do bypass the radiator with an aftermarket one.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by tflander2003@Oct 20 2004, 12:28 AM
if i was you id spend a hundred dollars and buy a new radator, cause u might as well if ur foing to do a new transmission cooler
Actually, it is a new radiator. It looks like the guy I bought the car from tightened down the nut there too much, and cracked part of the surrounding plastic from inside, and forgot to tighten the tranny cooler connection. :rolleyes:

The radiator started leaking pretty badly so I decided to rip the radiator out and fix it.

This is when i found out that a small part of the plastic was missing.

What I ended up doing is taking all of that out, putting RTV into the gap between the cooler and the plastic housing, put it all back together (this time with some teflon tape on all the threads) and I have no more leaking. :D

It dripped a little for a while, but now that the RTV has completely set, its all good now.

Now, I think I may have another leak on the back of the engine.. I am thinking its leaking from the head onto the exhaust manafold, this weekend I will get in there and see whats really going on. :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
NOT GOOD tranny fluid is flamable so you need to take care of this soon especially if it is leaking on the exhaust.

it dosent lound like this is the case but just don't put it off really long.

I bought a aftermarket cooler for my SHO and I bypassed my radiator cooler, advice on the cooler I would reccomend a stacked plate design they are smaller and can exchange the same ammount of heat as a larger tube and fin cooler.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by somedude@Nov 4 2004, 07:18 PM
NOT GOOD tranny fluid is flamable so you need to take care of this soon especially if it is leaking on the exhaust.

it dosent lound like this is the case but just don't put it off really long.

I bought a aftermarket cooler for my SHO and I bypassed my radiator cooler, advice on the cooler I would reccomend a stacked plate design they are smaller and can exchange the same ammount of heat as a larger tube and fin cooler.
no no, the new problem, I think is Oil.. I still havent had a chance to look under there and see. at no point was the car burning tranny fluid, afaik... however, on a slightly related note...

Today, it rained VERY hard up here, and I had to deliver my roommates wallet to him. <_<

No big deal, I think to myself..

Im driving along, and one of the intersections is completely flooded with water (im talking like 6-8" of water here) :blink:

So, I drive thru it (didnt have much of a choice, seeing I found out too late, I was already in it)... No big deal, water splashing all over, steaming like crazy and an odd smell (which I think is burning wet leaves stuck to the exhaust)

I pull into the local Mobil to fill up the gastank.. $2.19/gal :blink: ... well, no biggie, I guess.. hop back in, turn the key..........

Nothing happens... :unsure:

Not a click, not whine (other than the fuel pump), not a whur or grind....

First thought was something shorted out, of course, this is 11pm, at a mobil station, and noone is home... I quickly check the fuses under the hood, and all of the 20+ amp fuses in the car (I didnt have the diagram showing what they were).. all were good.

Now, back when I had my 93 sable, I had a problem where the starter motor didnt get power from time to time, so I ended up running a jumper from the starter to over by the battery, and when this kind of thing happened, I would just "jump start" the starter motor... so I ask the lady behind the counter for a flashlight, and I prepare to do the same thing on this car.. <_<

Low and behold, I get under there, and theres a small wire dangling near the starter.. The stupid control wire for the starter motor was pulled off (presumiably by the water) :angry:

I push the connector back on, hop in, and the car fires right up :p

I still do have that strange odor, but as I said, I think that might be some leaves stuck on the exhaust... Ill look again in the morning when its light out..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts