Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Taurus SES Flex Fuel and it has daytime running headlights. So unless my parking brake is on, they're always on. I wanted to get HID's but if I ever did I wouldn't want them to always be on. So is there any way to turn off the daytime running lamps? Like a certain fuse that I can just take out?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
searching wouldve pulled up something
but at any case, there should be a under the hood fuse that controls the drl, just unplug it.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
On some cars, the module is in the driver's side fender well and removing it will disable it. Other cars, it's impossible because it is integrated into the smart junction box (a computer that controls the accessories). I don't remember what the years were for the switch.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Looks like there is a fuse or a relay you could pull out to disable them. No module as it appears to use a voltage dropping resistor to dim the lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
On some cars, the module is in the driver's side fender well and removing it will disable it. Other cars, it's impossible because it is integrated into the smart junction box (a computer that controls the accessories). I don't remember what the years were for the switch.
[/b]
2005-2007 have it integrated in the SJB. Before that should be the module.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
From what I see the pre 2000s used the DRL module in the fender. From 2000 until 2005(?) they used a relay and dropping resistor. I'm not sure post 2002 as I don't have any wire diagrams for anything after that.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Aaron here's the steps I took to remove my DRL's from my 2000 SES Flex Fuel Vehicle.

1. Open Hood
2. Between Driver side fender and battery, there will be a black box with black masking tape on it. Open it.
3. You will see three relay's, two smaller ones next to eachother, and one larger one by itself. In my '00 there was two black and a grey. Your colors may be different.
4. IIRC, It is the smaller relay closest to the driverside fender.
5. Pull it.
6. Close the box.
7. Close the hood.

Now remember that you will have to turn on your headlights yourself. Make sure you have them suckers on at night! Be safe!!!

:thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
be nice to actually have a location on this..i have 4 relays under there..none labeled p79 or drl

·
Registered
205 Posts
Aaron here's the steps I took to remove my DRL's from my 2000 SES Flex Fuel Vehicle.

1. Open Hood
2. Between Driver side fender and battery, there will be a black box with black masking tape on it. Open it.
3. You will see three relay's, two smaller ones next to eachother, and one larger one by itself. In my '00 there was two black and a grey. Your colors may be different.
4. IIRC, It is the smaller relay closest to the driverside fender.
5. Pull it.
6. Close the box.
7. Close the hood.

Now remember that you will have to turn on your headlights yourself. Make sure you have them suckers on at night! Be safe!!!

:thumb:
[/b]
I didn't know the DRL's stand for automatic lights! You won't be very safe running DRL's at night: dimmed high beams and no lights in the rear. You have to turn headlights on with or without DRL's. I see lots of suckers with "automatic lights" around here, love them...

·
Registered
11 Posts
i deleted my DRL's a long time ago and if i can remember correctly this is how i did it (bear in mind this is on my 2003 SE Vulcan):
1) open hood
2) find the black box attatched to the drivers side of the battery tray held shut with black tape (shown in picture 1)
3) pull tab on either end to open it up (picture 2)
4) once box is open, you should find 4 fuses/relays in there, mine was the white on closest to the back of engine bay (picture 3, i couldn't find the one i took out so I'm just pointing to where it should be)
5) Turn your car on as if you are going to be driving it, make sure you pulled the right one out.
6) If it's all good, put the fuse in a safe place that you will remember, unlike me, who lost it... oops..
7) Put everything back together and close hood, and remember to turn your lights on!!!
hope this helped, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
-stanaz.

picture 1:

[attachment=28918:DRL_writ...dit_copy.jpg]

picture 2:

[attachment=28919:DRL_writ...p003edit.jpg]

picture 3:

[attachment=28920:DRL_writ...dit_copy.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow I posted this a while ago lol. I never looked into this further I always just lightly pressed my emergency brake in just enough to turn off the DRL's. But a few weeks ago I changed my bulbs from Nokya 7000K's to the Silverstar Ultra's and now the lights don't turn on unless I turn them on manually. Why could this be? I got rid of them on accident lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (stanaz @ Mar 21 2009, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710975
the fuse you pull out to disable them may have come loose is the only thing i can think of :dunno:[/b]
Really? So it has nothing to do with the bulbs or anything? Cuz one minute I have DRL's and ten minutes later when I change the bulbs, I don't... That's weird. I figured it had to do with the bulbs cuz you know how with some HID kits you lose your high beams, I figured with these bulbs they just made me lose my DRL's lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great help for my sister's 1998 Ford TAurus SE DOHC Duratech. The battery kept on dying and I finally figured out that the DRL module was turning on the lights all on its own randomly..no keys in ignition, the lights just came on and at times wouldn't turn off. Talk to ford and they said to unplug them. After reading the forum I decided first to try and pull the fuse. I opened up the Power Distribution Box, a black box,rectangualr in shape at the front of the engine on top of the radiator, it had relays and mini fuses in it. Posts on the forum said it was a 15 amp fuse. So I turned ON the ignition and the day time running lights came on. I pulled one 15 amp mini fuse at a time replacing them if the DRL's didn't go out. Third pull lucky..the lights went out..Every thing else appeared unaffected. The schematic inside the fuse box identified this as mini fuse #5. All is Well hope this helps..better than crawling under the car and searching for the DRL module. BTW the dealer wanted $275 and Rock Auto $41.

·
Registered
7 Posts
physical location of resistor

Any ideas where the resistor itself is located? I would like to make a manual shutoff, and the cleanest way to make that happen looks to be to clip that wire and put a switch on it. I could trick the relay half a dozen ways, using a switch and a wire. May as well be fancy though.
I've heard on other threads to 'pull the fuse' but I would suggest caution, on my car that fuse supposedly provides power to the ABS as well. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't know the DRL's stand for automatic lights! You won't be very safe running DRL's at night: dimmed high beams and no lights in the rear. You have to turn headlights on with or without DRL's. I see lots of suckers with "automatic lights" around here, love them...
I catch myself forgetting to turn them on now that they're there. As for 'not being safe running them at night' I heartily disagree. For those of us with good night vision who remember to eat our carrots, not a problem. In fact I prefer to drive with the dimmed lamps at night.

I located the relays mentioned by the other post. These are just relays though. I'd rather skip running wires through the firewall if I can, so locating the actual resistor or capacitor that modulates them would be better. Ideas as to the location? Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i deleted my DRL's a long time ago and if i can remember correctly this is how i did it (bear in mind this is on my 2003 SE Vulcan):
1) open hood
2) find the black box attatched to the drivers side of the battery tray held shut with black tape (shown in picture 1)
3) pull tab on either end to open it up (picture 2)
4) once box is open, you should find 4 fuses/relays in there, mine was the white on closest to the back of engine bay (picture 3, i couldn't find the one i took out so I'm just pointing to where it should be)
I opened the box on my 2004 SE and there was no fuse/relay in that position. But the DRLs still work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts