Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my 02 taurus sel where it will randomly think that my door is open when it isnt, and the lights will not turn off when i am mot in the car. It has killed my battery before, and will happen once in a while. Sometimes when i see it i will disconnect the battery, but thats not a good solution. It also does not turn the lights on in the interior when i open the door, its my passenger side door. I dont care about the car recognizing it, i just dont want it to drain my battery. How can i disable the sensor??

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
877 Posts
I have a problem with my 02 taurus sel where it will randomly think that my door is open when it isnt, and the lights will not turn off when i am mot in the car. It has killed my battery before, and will happen once in a while. Sometimes when i see it i will disconnect the battery, but thats not a good solution. It also does not turn the lights on in the interior when i open the door, its my passenger side door. I dont care about the car recognizing it, i just dont want it to drain my battery. How can i disable the sensor??
Potentially the simplest solution: Do you have a switch on the light to put it in the permanently off position?

· Registered
12,157 Posts
You need a wiring diag. Pic you can open up the accordion from the door to the body and cut the wire that does that.
However your car should have a "battery saver" and it should cut off the lights after ~20 minutes.
-chart-

Attachments

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
877 Posts
However your car should have a "battery saver" and it should cut off the lights after ~20 minutes.
-chart-
If the problem is intermittent, it may restart the 20 minute cycle several times.

Since that light can be turned on manually and accidentally left on, I changed it to an LED a long time ago.

· Registered
1998 Taurus SE Sedan 3.0L24V AX4N 91Kmi
168 Posts
Why did you start another identical thread for the same problem on the same forum? Disable door jam sensor from recognizing the door

I advise against WD40 since its purpose is to deposit paraffin; not to lubricate or dissolve anything. Flowable grease IS a solvent carrying a lubricant, so it's a much-better choice. It might break up dried or contaminated grease, and leave behind fresh grease. But removing & washing the latch would be my first choice, since it removes more contamination. These are from my trucks:

Material property Gas Metal Font Fashion accessory

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May try spraying the door end latch(es) profusely with wd-40.
Already tried that, so did the mechanic
Why did you start another identical thread for the same problem on the same forum? Disable door jam sensor from recognizing the door

I advise against WD40 since its purpose is to deposit paraffin; not to lubricate or dissolve anything. Flowable grease IS a solvent carrying a lubricant, so it's a much-better choice. It might break up dried or contaminated grease, and leave behind fresh grease. But removing & washing the latch would be my first choice, since it removes more contamination. These are from my trucks:

View attachment 222291
Didnt mean to start two threads, ill check now…
How did you clean it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts