Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I did try a search on ABS and anitlock here and in the Suspension & Brakes forum, but found nothing that helps.

Someone (a buddy that does mobile maintenance) told me that there was a single wire, down around the drivers left foot, out of the harness or heading through the firewall that could be disconnected and this would disable the ABS. I want to get my wife's car to do its braking steering wheel shake and then after stopping, disable the ABS and then immediately see if that cures the steering wheel shake. This would either confirm or eliminate the ABS control module and its related "stuff" as a suspect.

I have been told that I can disconnect the ABS module itself, and that I can do. But, if there was a single wire in at the firewall, down by the driver's left foot, that is way easier and more convenient to access and use for this diagnostic.

If anyone else has ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. When the car does do this, it becomes unsafe because the braking performance is negatively impacted - and in a big way when it is bad. The severity varies. Sometimes none at all! Here is the background that I can give.

The ABS light is not on.

I've not had the ABS scoped for any codes it may have, but I will do that ASAP. $40 and he can do it on Thursday this week. Maybe it'll show a bad wheel speed sensor, but unless there are saved codes the intermittent nature and no ABS light on leads me to think that I'll get little value for my 40!

When this does occur, the steering wheel shake is:
* only under braking
* The frequency of the shake seems to be the same as the pulse that you feel when ABS is active, though I do not hear or feel the motor or solenoids
* only after prolonged driving, but not necessarily hard driving/braking
* frequency is not speed related/sensitive (ie same vibration regardless of speed)
* goes away after a while turned off
* not apparent in short trip/around town

My wife's car is a 2000 Merc. Sable Wagon. 24 valve engine, ABS but no traction control.

The rig had cross drilled vented rotors when we bought it used. We've put about 50K on it, total now about 125,000 miles.

I've recently put new Brembo rotors all around on it 'cause it had a vibration that could be felt in the front and telegraphed into the steering wheel sometimes under braking. Worse after prolonged driving. I did not measure runout on the old rotors, just R&R.

Car still has problem. It seems to take over an hour for the problem to really manifest itself. It does not take hard driving/hot brakes, matter of fact, the last time it was bad I was able to touch all 4 rotors (the new ones) and no sizzle, no burn. Didn't have a thermometer w/ me, but I'd guess them to have been less than 150 - 200 F.

I had the car up and measured run out. The new front rotors showed about a 1/2 to 1 thou (.0005" to .001") total indicator reading at the outer edge of the pad contact area. I also measured the flange on the rotor where the wheel attaches just outside of the stud circle...no run out there to speak of at all. The struts all look good, shake test is good, bushings on suspension all visually appear good. No front end weirdness under other driving conditions - turning, railroad crossings etc.

The new rear rotors show a small amount of run out, I haven't my notes in front of me, but these were 2 thou or less (.002") TIR at the max radius of the pad contact area and no runout at the wheel mounting flange.

WOW, that was long! Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

OH, HI! Glad to be a member of the forum!

Thanks,
Tom

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Just pull the fuse when the key is not in the ignition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
abs speed

Try bringing it to near car shop or let a mechanic check it for you. You never know, maybe it's just some faulty wiring or worst case you might need to get a new ABS speed sensor. Just to be sure and safe, let a mechanic check it immediately.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
You really don't want to drive a car without ABS on the street, especially not if its your wife driving it. If you want to drive without ABS, make sure you know how to prevent the wheels from locking up and how the vehicle behaves when it locks up so that you know how to keep it in control. I would rather get that fixed if it was me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts