Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 Taurus is a great car I love it. Since the day I bought it I have been getting poor gas mileage I replaced the MAF because the engine was running lean and the gas mileage in the city hit about 16-17 instead of 14-15 like before the MAF sensor was replaced. Some one told me I might be able to improve my mileage if I get injectors cleaned. The car just had a tune-up about 5,000 miles ago.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
It will help, but you have to take them out to properly clean them. Backflushing is the only way to really clean everything out. You have to call around and find a shop that has the equipment to backflush the injectors.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
You'd be getting better gas milage if you're running lean. Less fuel per cumbustion = more fuel efficient. Did you check your spark plugs? If the plugs are fouled and you aren't getting at hot spark, you might not be burning all the fuel.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Look at the plugs. Are they white or very light colored? If so you are running lean. As said previously to properly clean the injectors they need to be removed. If you are running excessively lean you will get lower gas mileage and risk burning a hole in the piston.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Do you know what was done at the tune-up? If the fuel filter wasn't changed, you'll probably want to do that first. Cheap and easy!

I run a bottle of Gumout concentrated injector cleaner or Chevron Techron concentrate through the fuel system 500 miles before every oil change to keep injector and valve deposits minimized. However, you should have the injectors removed, soaked in cleaner, and flushed if the deposits and clogs are already there. I had that procedure done about 15K miles ago, and I plan on doing it again at 100K.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Have you checked the Oxygen sensors?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts