Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKay, here's the deal:

I have a 98 Sable GS. At night, whenever I hit my brakes, the lights dim then come back up when I hit the accelerator. I've taken it to a mechanic and they've tested the charging system and couldn't find anything wrong. They also couldn't reproduce my problem (as usual <_< ).

It seems to be getting worse the longer I don't do anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You have a problem with either the primary battery wiring or the battery is getting near the end of it's life.

Check the battery cables from the battery to the starter to the underhood fuse box. Be sure to check the ground too.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by DayOff@Dec 19 2003, 09:10 PM
How can I test that theory?
Hehe:

Check the battery cables from the battery to the starter to the underhood fuse box. Be sure to check the ground too.[/b]
If all the connections are ok (without corrosion), the wires are ok (low enough resistance, no frays), you can check the battery to see if it's ok; measure the voltage between the two terminals, it should be around 12 when the engines not on and 14 if the engine is. (actually, this is pretty much a test of the entire system) You can also get a battery tester that will check if the battery responds well to a load, or just take the battery to autozone (although they would probably be quick to condemn a good battery)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts