Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay. i just replaced my OEM lights with Xenon Cyberwhites, lined them up right, and they seem dimmer than the OEM's.

Any reason for this? i haven't cleaned the lenses yet, but that wouldn't make the new bulb dimmer than the old one, would it?

also, my DRL relay is frocked. do i need to remove it? i didn't think it had anything to do with the new bulbs...but i guess i could be wrong.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
perhaps...everything seems to be getting power though. and like i said, the old bulbs were brighter, so the power drain would have had to have started right after i changed the bulbs.

maybe i didn't get them lined up right. the driveway here is a little weird...maybe i wasn't in a flat spot like i thought i was.

:angry: damn car :angry:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Try unplugging the DRL and see if that changes it. The module on my 99 was slowly dying, and would cause the DRLs to flicker. I just unplugged it and left it that way - never liked DRLs anyway. Low/high beams still work as normal. I don't know if it'll be that simple on yours, as i think you may have the older style DRL module, but it's easy enough to try and find out. If you don't know where it is, it's under the left front fender - easiest to get at if you take off the wheel and the front inner fender liner, altho you may be able to reach up from underneath without removing anything just by jacking up the car.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Just pull the fuse for the DRLs. If the new bulbs pull more juice than the old ones then they will be dimmer seeing as the OEM wiring is substandard to begin with. Put in a 100w relay harness and you will see with a new light!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll pull the fuse tomorrow. its raining right now.

will the 100w harness make that much difference? i'm running Xenon WPK's 55/65w quartz bulbs. i don't wanna sink fifty bucks into a harness that might help a little.

also, can i get them retail? i don't have any credit cards (they're money traps..bad stuff) so i can't get them online.

·
Registered
135 Posts
on my 99 dohc the headlites are on always, and they flicker and get dim
when i put on brakes, when i turn lites on they get brighter. could this
drl be causing this problem also?
thanks, dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts