Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed my 99 Sedan losing a lot of light power on the back roads at night.

I have also noticed the slight fogginess to the front of the lens.

I am wondering if the bulbs are just dimming so much that i can't see them as well or if the lens is really playing that much into it.

Will replacing bulbs make that much of a difference with a slight fog on the lens or should i just get the headlight lens restore kit and clean the lens and replace the bulbs???

More importantly whats a good bulb to get? I don't want to spend extra money over OEM unless its worth it or has perks.

Pretty easy to remove a headlight bulb? I change my own taillights and thats a pain.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
It's not hard to replace the bulbs. Silverstars are excellent IMO. And for a litttle extra out of them, a headlight harness upgrade is the best. As well as buffing out the lense or using the restoration kit to clear out the haze.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not hard to replace the bulbs. Silverstars are excellent IMO. And for a litttle extra out of them, a headlight harness upgrade is the best. As well as buffing out the lense or using the restoration kit to clear out the haze.

What kind of upgrade to the harness? Got any links to products?

·
Registered
43 Posts
My sister's '98 has a similar 'low light' problem. The lense covers on her car have a dark gray/silverish tint which I assume is from aging. I have been wondering if that will buff out with wet sanding paper & compound, like the yellowed ones do, or is it on the inside of the lense?
When we are on dark country roads and I switch to high beams, there is barely any improvement at all.

I think OEM bulbs perform well, as long as the outer lense is good and clear. No need for those retna searing bright white bulbs.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Go to SUVlights.com. Find the universal harness for the 9007 bulbs. Using the upgaded harness takes power direct from the battery to power the bulbs through relays. By doing that and using heavier wiring, there is very little if any voltage drop, thus making the bulbs slightly brighter compared to using the lighter stock harness. Not to mention using the harness, you can run higher wattage bulbs without harming anything.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I replaced my entire headlight units to no avail! The headlight harnesses are minimal gain and not useable if you need DRLs . The fact is that the G4 headlights suck! It's the design.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My sister's '98 has a similar 'low light' problem. The lense covers on her car have a dark gray/silverish tint which I assume is from aging. I have been wondering if that will buff out with wet sanding paper & compound, like the yellowed ones do, or is it on the inside of the lense?
When we are on dark country roads and I switch to high beams, there is barely any improvement at all.

I think OEM bulbs perform well, as long as the outer lense is good and clear. No need for those retna searing bright white bulbs.
I saw it on an episode of "Trucks!" where you can actually use high grit sand paper to sand the lens to a like new finish.

They claim the yellow tint is just years or road grime.

Mothers makes a kit with that all you need is a cordless drill which i am thinking about buying, and i guess i will just go with some new bulbs to see if that helps too.

Someone tell me if i am wrong but headlights do dim after getting old right?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would polish them anyway. Cheap, easy, looks better, and a little more light. It will need to be done again in the future as the yellowing comes back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts