Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was anyway to have a totally digital instrument panel, I don't mind the analog, but being that I seek to make my SES unique as much as possible, I thought its be cool to do so. I got inspiration from Dakota Digital, and a friend's Buick Retta. I personally think doing this would make my, and maybe yours as well, a bit more different then the rest of the crowd.. that itd be easier to read

·
Registered
374 Posts
Only I way know of, is to take your existing cluster (Or a spare) and make a blank from it's dimensions. The blank will give you a clean slate to lay out a custom array of gauges.

The only other thought I've had on the matter is replacing the gauge cluster with an LCD display, but all of the software packages that interface with the OBD-II connector and display gauges on a screen look like they are straight out of video game from 1989.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only I way know of, is to take your existing cluster (Or a spare) and make a blank from it's dimensions. The blank will give you a clean slate to lay out a custom array of gauges.

The only other thought I've had on the matter is replacing the gauge cluster with an LCD display, but all of the software packages that interface with the OBD-II connector and display gauges on a screen look like they are straight out of video game from 1989.
I thought about the LCD bit myself, but I think itd be a pain in the ass to do since there's a curve, it the cluster was straight, and boxy, id have no problems:lol2:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'd doubt that it would be plug and play, or the right shape.

Your best bet would be a custom cluster.

Use the stock surround/mounts and fill the center with fiberglass or carbon fiber. Choose gauges, cut holes, mount...boom. The toughest part will be figuring out the wiring for each individual gauge.

You can get some digital gauges of your choice.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...dual/Part-Type/Gauges-Digital/?keyword=gauges

Here's an example of the project (non-digital):

You can't see them because they're not lit, but this guy actually mounted the panel of "dummy lights" from the stock cluster just to the right of the vent by the cluster on the right, in a cut-out made in the dash/surround. (triangle hole)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts