Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a GEN-2 with a digital instrument cluster? I see in my book that this was an option, however i have yet to find on in a junk yard. Im curious as to what all this cluster would display, such as if it still has a tachometer, and also curious to know the highest speed it will display.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow i actually think that looks kind of sexy. It appears however that it can only show as high as 99 MPH. All the other gauges seems to be good though. I would really enjoy having the fuel info such as how many miles i have left to drive till im out of gas. hopefully i can find one of these in a junk yard to play with. Any body that have one of these have any bad things to say about them?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
There was someone with an SHO that wired one into his vehicle...but it was no easy task. Wish I remembered his name...

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
The display itself can definitely do above 99.

IIRC the early digital cluster couldn't display above 85 MPH (don't know what it did for km/h) but I think that may have changed at some point.

I seem to recall someone posting that the method used to modify the digital cluster on T-birds to display above 85 worked for Tauruses but I can't find it.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
The display itself can definitely do above 99.

IIRC the early digital cluster couldn't display above 85 MPH (don't know what it did for km/h) but I think that may have changed at some point.

I seem to recall someone posting that the method used to modify the digital cluster on T-birds to display above 85 worked for Tauruses but I can't find it.
[/b]
The digital dash in my 90 Sable stopped at 85 MPH and whatever the KPH equivalent is. Hence why they didn't use a Taurus or Sable as the time machine in Back to the Future.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
There is a digital cluster in my 91 LX. It's kind of cool but it can be difficult to see at certain times during the day. Sun glare and reflections are not kind to it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I haven't looked at the ford cluster, but a couple of chrysler's from '87 had a switch on the back labelled US <--> Export. This was under a plastic cover, and once I flipped it to export, I never found the top of the speedo. (went to 125 to test it) Before that, it would top out at 85

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Parents old 89 LX wagon (up here in Canada) had the digital dash... Yes it went into 3 digits considering that highway cruising speed is 110 Kph. I do believe that it could only display a "1" in the 100's place holder... a 2 or 3 would take up too much room in the cluster... Not like an old 3.8 Essex could get over 199 Kph anyways...hahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts