Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to scrap my '95 Taurus this past spring and finally got a new car, a 2001 SEL. I had spent more hours than I would like to count working on the old one (loved every minute of it) and would just like to know what the major differences/similarities are between the two years. I already know the engine block is the same, as are several of the things that attach directly to it. However, are there any big things I should be aware of? I'm talking reliability issues like the rear strut springs (came busted) or faulty transmissions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had to scrap my '95 Taurus this past spring and finally got a new car, a 2001 SEL. I had spent more hours than I would like to count working on the old one (loved every minute of it) and would just like to know what the major differences/similarities are between the two years. I already know the engine block is the same, as are several of the things that attach directly to it. However, are there any big things I should be aware of? I'm talking reliability issues like the rear strut springs (came busted) or faulty transmissions.

The engines can be the same if they are both vulcans. Though, the 4th gen has differences in the ignition system. The cam posistion sensor and gear is non existant on the gen 2's because of the distributor. the spark plug wires are different too. Also the raditors after gen 2 have to be dropped from the bottom vs the top. and the coolant tank is pressurized on the gen 4. the transmissions are different but similar the gen 2's had the AX4S mainly whereas the gen 4 has the more electronic non sync shifting AX4N for the vulcans. The cars also have diff obd systems, gen 2 is obdI and gen 4 is obd 2. Also the gen 4's have tacometers and a more updated dashboard. Both can have ABS atleast. Fuel tanks on the gen 4's can be plastic vs gen 2's are all metal tanks I think? The suspension parts are simlar in design i think. Gen 4's have the water at the bottom of the passenger floor mat issue where as the gen 2's dont.

I think that is the main differences of both. The gen 4 is imo an evolution of the gen 2 more then a redisgn. The gen 4's are good bulls and shouldnt have any more or less issues of a gen 4 i think. I would chime in more about the issues of gen 4's but I only have a gen 2 bull.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Since you have an SEL, you have a DOHC 3.0, not a vulcan.
Your old car had 140 hp and your new baby has 200 hp!!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Unless it's Canadian spec or a wagon :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well, if it is a Vulcan change the coolant immediately. And do it biannually at the latest. the 96+ Vulcans destroy coolant additives.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, if it is a Vulcan change the coolant immediately. And do it biannually at the latest. the 96+ Vulcans destroy coolant additives.
Thats very true! even on gen 2 vulcan bulls ya gotta watch the coolant. On my 93 i changed the coolant from the PO and its was disgusting looking almost orange like. I hope my coolant system doesnt have rust in it :(. Anyways, new coolant, new oil change, and maintenence depending on PO records and that bull will be a reliable car. I want a gen 4 man but as long as my gen 2 bull keeps going and going I ll have to wait but for good reason i think.

good luck with your new bull!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think the starter, alternator, and some, or most of the a/c components should fit. The suspension has different rates, but will fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts