Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened today, 2nd time this month. Occurred twice after running fine for 1/2 hour, highway speeds.

1st time was when my gas tank was very low. This time had over 1/4 tank. Thinking it's a fuel pump issue. Overheating or getting starved somehow. Had it towed today and it started as soon as it came off the truck.

Any experiences like this? '99 V6 Vulcan with 120K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I first bought my '01 Taurus, I had a similar issue. I would go somewhere, park the car, and it wouldn't restart. After it sat for an hour or so, it would start again. So every time I called the guy I bought it from, it started just fine when he came to tow it and try to find what was wrong.
Finally it stopped working entirely, and he was able to figure out how to fix it. And it was the fuel pump.

As a side note, the guy that I bought the car from didn't charge me for a single tow job because of it (about 5 or 6 times), or for replacing the fuel pump. It's rare to find someone who will sell you a car with that kind of integrity!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I suspected. Could you give me an approx time frame between when it started and when it died completely. Mileage between?

Great luck with the seller. Not too many of those guys around anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me today.. Gas light was on, but it wasnt near the level that I have pushed it to in the past.

I was able to coast it into a gas station, but wasnt able to get close to the pumps and I wasnt able to push it. Waited around for like 15mins.

Durning this time I tried priming the pump, but nothing, (i wasnt able to listen for the pump because of how loud it was around me) it took a good 15mins of sitting to start showing signs of life again. Started right up, drove it to a pump got gas. Now I'm at work we'll see what happens on the drive home.

I read somewhere that It could be the Ignition Coil, as they go out on Fords, and that when they get hot they show these symptoms.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like Dan said, I think the f pump is nearing its end. I will never let the gauge fall below a 1/2 from now on. Mine has happened on warmer/hot days and am hoping that the onset of more 70s-80s it will make it hang on for a bit.

15 min wait is the magic number I think. It gets longer if you cheat and try earlier. It's a simple change out, but messing with the gas tank is the pain in the ass. Good luck. I'll keep you posted on further episodes. Do the same if you don't mind.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been a bit gun shy of driving it much. I have another vehicle I use for work and have been using it most of the time. Filled it up yesterday and no issues on a 20 mi trip hiway/city. I don't mind sitting in a parking lot for 15 min, but having it happen at a stoplight (which happened last time) is way too painful.

And the fuel pump alone is almost $200 - could be a $500 job??

·
Registered
619 Posts
Had a '98 doing the same thing, but it would usually stumble before it died. I could put it in neutral, turn it off and restart then back in gear and it would go again. Might drive another 15 seconds or 15 miles. Took 6 months between first dying and complete failure. Didn't matter how much gas it had in it. Nicest thing was being able to remove the back seat and change it from there, but it was a Tracer, not a Taurus.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be sweet. I'll pull the back seat and have a look. Maybe look under the truck cover, too. Thanks. Never thought about looking there.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
There is a how-to in one of the sho forums with pics. and measurements for fuel pump r&r with back seat removed. Maybe someone can chime in with its location.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My opinion ... NOT likely to be a fuel pump. A running fuel pump usually doesn't cut out.
More likely the the transistors in the ignition module.

Can you hear the pump prime (noise from fuel tank) when you turn the key to ON (before cranking).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My opinion ... NOT likely to be a fuel pump. A running fuel pump usually doesn't cut out.
More likely the the transistors in the ignition module.

Can you hear the pump prime (noise from fuel tank) when you turn the key to ON (before cranking).
So you're saying an ignition module? Where is it? how much?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would say some troubleshooting is in order, to see if you have an ignition problem or a fuel delivery problem. Of course you will have to get the car in a won't start condition in a convenient place, hopefully in your yard.

I would get an inexpensive spark tester that you hook between the spark plug and wire. You will need an assistant OR remote starter switch also. If using a remote starter switch, leave the ignition switch turned on.

Or when in a no start condition, spray some starting fluid in the intake and see if you can get a pop out of it.

I tend to think like gary123 that it's an ignition problem, but without troubleshooting you won't know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts