Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I hate to say this but I think I may have messed up my car :( I turned her on for the first time since doing a car wash about a week ago today and she died. The only things I did to her since then were repair battery cables (battery is fine), spray an undercoating under the car, and clean the IAC valve. The reason I cleaned the IAC valve was because of her habit of revving forward when I would be at stoplights or coasting.

To clean the IAC valve I sprayed throttle body cleaner into the two holes and drained it back out multiple times until the drainage was clean. Then I left it overnight with a dry rag over the holes to let it dry out.

Today I turned her on and she rattled some then died. The check engine light came on. I had read that the sensor in the IAC valve has to reset itself and the light will come on at first so I just started her up again and she ran a little longer, shakily, then died. But the light didn't come on. I did it again and revved the gas a little and she stayed on for a good 5 minutes, so I drove her around the block, she made it through stopping at the stop signs for a few seconds but didn't sound healthy, kind of a puttering sound and feeling. When I got back to the driveway, which is uphill, she died again.

So I'm thinking an idling problem right after I screwed with the valve has to be the valve. Should I buy the new IAC valve and replace it myself? I think it's only like $50, I can handle that. Or should I tuck my tail in and go to the dealership? I guess realistically this is all my fault, but I researched a lot and really thought I knew what I was doing when I did this...

Any advice would be immensely helpful,
Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
the $50 may be worth it, get some CRC electrical cleaner and spray the bit that goes to the iac, let it air out, reconnect it

from what i heard before i replaced mine was throttle body cleaner will mess it up... may have heard wrong though

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've always heard that Taurus IAC's are not really cleanable without a high risk of damage.

I would just replace the IAC, since a trip to the dealer will cost at least $100 for them to just let you breathe their air.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K, I'm going to call the local NAPA store tomorrow and see what they've got, hoping to save myself shipping time. I checked Rock Auto, they've got a $40 one, "t-series," the price is really appealing but I start to wonder what makes it so cheap and there's no picture.

I'm guessing I did mess up the sensor. Cleaning it was just wishful thinking to save money on the whole part but I won't be going that route anymore. Live and learn I guess ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
K, I'm going to call the local NAPA store tomorrow and see what they've got, hoping to save myself shipping time. I checked Rock Auto, they've got a $40 one, "t-series," the price is really appealing but I start to wonder what makes it so cheap and there's no picture.

I'm guessing I did mess up the sensor. Cleaning it was just wishful thinking to save money on the whole part but I won't be going that route anymore. Live and learn I guess ;)
You should be able to go to NapaOnline.com and check the parts available for your local Napa store. I can do that for mine.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i've never had problem cleaning mine out with throttle body cleaner. i do mine every oil change and haven't had a problem yet.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Just buy the Motorcraft part through RockAuto. I have enough experience to know that most aftermarket IAC valves act like an OEM one on the fritz.

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Just buy the Motorcraft part through RockAuto. I have enough experience to know that most aftermarket IAC valves act like an OEM one on the fritz.
+1

Spend the $$ on a Motorcraft replacement, not cheap junk.

I have cleaned IACs with some success, but sometimes had to replace them when cleaning them did nothing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well damn. I was debating between rock auto and napa, I ended up calling the local napa store this morning and they're ordering me one. I hadn't seen these posts yet. I just thought if I could pick it up it would save me shipping $$ and they can get it for me tomorrow. I really need to get my taurus put back together and running asap so I can go get my new hood (couldn't get it home so I need to go to the seller and install it in the parking lot real quick). I can't really go back on my word to napa. Hopefully it won't be an "on the fritz" part, it comes with a warranty at least.

Thanks for the answers though!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my new valve today and installed it and the car idles great now. It's a napa part but it comes with a one year warranty and it's made in japan, usually good stuff comes from there. I put some sealant on the metal then made the screws snug but not too tight. Problem solved :) Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I put some sealant on the metal then made the screws snug but not too tight. Problem solved :) Thanks for the help.
didn't it come with a new gasket? just curious becuause you kinda make it sound like it didn't...

the one i got from o'reily's (optima? i'd have to dig the box out) works great, just a bit "iffy" here and there cause i broke part of the connector while replacing it...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It came with what I thought was a piece of cardboard shaped like the opening. Maybe that was the gasket? I didn't think anything of it because when I removed the old one it was just metal glued to metal with two screws holding it in place, nothing different in between. Maybe I should take it off and put the cardboardish thingee in between the metal?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It came with what I thought was a piece of cardboard shaped like the opening. Maybe that was the gasket? I didn't think anything of it because when I removed the old one it was just metal glued to metal with two screws holding it in place, nothing different in between. Maybe I should take it off and put the cardboardish thingee in between the metal?
that was probley it... mine looked like cardboard with a slight cotton-ish feel/look to it... i hear that when you take off your iac the old gasket has a tendency to rip or disinagrate, although my old one came off in one piece...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts