Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was prying out my right side halfshaft from the tranny and it moved outward about 1/2" to 3/4 inch and then I noticed, stupid me, I hadn't taken out completly the control arm to subframe bolt, so the strut/wheel assembly couln't move outward with the halfshaft.

Will this damage my inner cv joint/halfshaft? I don't know if the internals have play in them or not laterally but I'm hoping they do.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The inboard joint has about two inches of travel in it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inboard joint has about two inches of travel in it.
[/b]
Whew! That makes me feel better.I have enough to do swapping the tranny without worying about a busted halfshaft. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
799 Posts
No problem, good luck with the trans swap!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I was prying out my right side halfshaft from the tranny and it moved outward about 1/2" to 3/4 inch and then I noticed, stupid me, I hadn't taken out completly the control arm to subframe bolt, so the strut/wheel assembly couln't move outward with the halfshaft.

Will this damage my inner cv joint/halfshaft? I don't know if the internals have play in them or not laterally but I'm hoping they do.
[/b]
I leave the halfshafts attached to the spindle. I unbolt the 3 strut bolts at the top. unbolt the 15/16 strut rod nuts at the front of the subframe, and unbolt the controll arm at the frame. then unbolt the 2 12 mm calaper bolts and zip tie it to the chassie then remove everything as one really heavy ass assembly.

the bob has seen me. i'm 125lbs of furry and I can still manhandle it. If you are a girly man you can remove the rotors to make it lighter but this will get everything out of the way and it takes about 25 min a side to get everything out. Just make sure you mark the strut towers so you can put the struts back where they were.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts