Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone try quick struts of Dearborn Axle? Part# is the same as for monroe q.struts. I asked the seller about the manufacturer of the parts of q.strut assembly, he just said "they are from China". May be someone had any experience with these items? Company mostly sells remanufactured parts, they do not produce new parts.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
From all indications they're cheap Chineese refurbished crap like the Leacree parts sold at Rockauto. At least the Leacree's have a large company like Rockauto to stand behind them, though they are still junk.

If you're on a budget, at least try to spring the extra $40 for the Monroe Econo-Matic Quick-Struts. They're not as good as the premium Monroe Quick-Struts or the KYB units with life-time warranties, but at least they're new and not cheap Chineese refurbs. The Econo-Matic's are a tick under $89 each at Rockauto.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yeap, for 140$ a pice plus labor to replace them... I woldn't take the risk.
The Monroe Quick-Strut, KYB Strut Plus are good choices.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The Monroe Quick struts 171615 are $120 at Rock right now - Monore does a rebate around this time of year, this time it's buy 2 get $50 back, buy 4 get $125 back.

"Dearborn Axle" is using Monroe's photos - makes me suspicious.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thnx guys!
Well, just my two cents about dearborn axle. just for starter i did purchase a cv axle shaft and it fits perfectly no problems,my opinion great quality parts and will be getting those brand new rear quick struts for $126 a pair can't beat that anywhere.For those who dont know all part or most part for your car are made from china and get assembled here in the USA.Dont believe the hype this is not the 80's any more if not all parts made in china most are so, spend how you spend its your hard earn money.:eek:

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Dont believe the hype this is not the 80's any more if not all parts made in china most are so, spend how you spend its your hard earn money.:eek:
A product made in China by a US company with tight quality control procedures is very different than something made by some no-name company that has changed it's name several times and doesn't even have a website nor a published address or phone number. That doesn't mean that the product is a POS or will fail, but if it does you're SOL. Most products I've had experience with from similarly "mystical" companies have been junk, including the Leacree struts from Rock Auto. You get what you pay for, and when something is dramatically cheaper than other comparable products you pretty much have to assume that they're cutting corners somewhere. With something that has the safety implications that a strut assembly does, I'm not going to take the chance with my family. To each their own though.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
A product made in China by a US company with tight quality control procedures is very different than something made by some no-name company that has changed it's name several times and doesn't even have a website nor a published address or phone number. That doesn't mean that the product is a POS or will fail, but if it does you're SOL. Most products I've had experience with from similarly "mystical" companies have been junk, including the Leacree struts from Rock Auto. You get what you pay for, and when something is dramatically cheaper than other comparable products you pretty much have to assume that they're cutting corners somewhere. With something that has the safety implications that a strut assembly does, I'm not going to take the chance with my family. To each their own though.
Well, if you have a 10 year old + bull in the rust belt you take a chance
with your family every day with the OEM struts. When i was at the bone
yard looking for struts for my gen3, i was shocked to see how many of the
GEN3 cars had fractured or broken springs on them. I think a lot of people are running around now not even realizing they have a hunk missing from
one of there springs. I have THREE broke on mine now.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
I just recently replaced my rears on my GEN IV. I used the Monroe Matic Struts (cost me $140 for the pair) and Moog CC859 ($70 for the pair) Did all the work myself , total cost of $210.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just recently replaced my rears on my GEN IV. I used the Monroe Matic Struts (cost me $140 for the pair) and Moog CC859 ($70 for the pair) Did all the work myself , total cost of $210.

can I ask you where did you ordered them struts from/ was the quick strut version

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
can I ask you where did you ordered them struts from/ was the quick strut version
Since the Moog CC859 is a pair of springs, he did the ala-cart method of
strut replacement. The only problem with that is getting ALL the parts together. including the strut bearing and such at the top. I would replace
all the parts if i went that far.

What i am doing to piece mine back together is i went to the Upull and looked for cars that already had quick struts on them that still looked
relatively fresh without the paint flaking off the springs. Thats what i am putting on mine next week. IF the car had quck struts on it, that means
they are NOT original OEM and been replaced at least once. $26 each.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts

I got the struts from a local auto store. I bought the springs and struts separately and assembled them. Wasn't hard at all really took like 5 mins to assemble the struts. You just need something to compress the springs for you.

Since the Moog CC859 is a pair of springs, he did the ala-cart method of
strut replacement. The only problem with that is getting ALL the parts together. including the strut bearing and such at the top. I would replace
all the parts if i went that far.

What i am doing to piece mine back together is i went to the Upull and looked for cars that already had quick struts on them that still looked
relatively fresh without the paint flaking off the springs. Thats what i am putting on mine next week. IF the car had quck struts on it, that means
they are NOT original OEM and been replaced at least once. $26 each.
All that top piece is, is rubber. I inspected mine to make sure it was still good. I live in West Texas soo... we get no salt on our roads, almost never snows and this year it hardly rained lol. I've only put like 30k miles on the car since I got it so they where still decent. BUT if you want to replace them you can get new oem ones from any Ford dealership over nighted for like $15-$20. the 2 washers and rod protector can be reused unless they just look all beat up and rusty. Just don't reuse the nut on the rod. Your new struts should come with a new nut.

It took me like 3 days to get the parts in... would of been 2 days if one of the struts I got from the local auto store didnt have a crack in the bottom of the cylinder.

I wouldn't go to a junk yard for springs and struts... you can't tell me that you can "eye ball" a set and tell that they have good compression still. You don't have to go buying adjustable struts but at least buy NEW parts. Your suspension is kinda important you know.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I wouldn't go to a junk yard for springs and struts... you can't tell me that you can "eye ball" a set and tell that they have good compression still. You don't have to go buying adjustable struts but at least buy NEW parts. Your suspension is kinda important you know.
Yes it is important. But you can tell a lot by looking. I can tell you in the Midwest that most of the gen3 in the junkyard have broken or rusting
springs if there original OEM. I would not touch them. I only way i would is if you see a clean low mileage car that was wrecked with no crud in it like a old lady owned it.

What i looked for is cars that had quick struts put on them. and then only cars that had all the paint on the springs like they had not been on
for a long period of time. In my estimate, that's worth the gamble at $25 each. Your guaranteed that there NOT original, and they have been
replaced at least once. For the number of broken springs i saw in the bone yard, i surprised i did not see MORE quick struts on junkers. I think many
people are running around with broken springs not even knowing there broke I did see some Gen4 with KYB on them. I assumed they were OEM, but i was not sure. not being sure if they were aftermarket, i passed on them. I assume a gen4 strut is the same, but i have not really verified that.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
KYBs are silver, Monroe Matics are blue, Monroe Sensa are black. Theres a lot of different colors but them are the main ones I remember. The stock Motorcraft ones are black and have flat cylinder bottoms.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
KYBs are silver, Monroe Matics are blue, Monroe Sensa are black. Theres a lot of different colors but them are the main ones I remember. The stock Motorcraft ones are black and have flat cylinder bottoms.
Did ford use KYB for an OEM supplier on GEN4?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just an FYI - KYB is in the process of switching to black (flat black not glossy); I just swapped out the struts on my Buick with KYB's and the fronts are silver and the rears are black, I checked with KYB and they had a notice on their web-site.

Did ford use KYB for an OEM supplier on GEN4?
My 03 SES had Motorcraft struts and springs (if that's what your asking).

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
The only OFFICIAL parts OEM supplier for Ford is Motorcraft. Each vehcile manufacture has its own OEM suppliers. Chevrolet is ACDelco where Ford is MotorCraft

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The only OFFICIAL parts OEM supplier for Ford is Motorcraft. Each vehicle manufacture has its own OEM suppliers. Chevrolet is ACDelco where Ford is MotorCraft
well, next trip back to the bone yard i will have to look at gen4 struts.
i swear i saw more than one car with silver kyb that looked like they were
OEM. If anyone has a 2000/2004 look on your front struts and see if they
are silver.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
My 2000's factory struts were black. So were my replacements from Monroe (QuickStruts).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts