Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...so today I was in Lancaster taking care of some business. There is a VERY busy street that I needed to get accross to the far right lane, me being on the far left side. I notice the light turn green on one side...and red on the other...with just a few cars that made it through. Since the light just turned green, only a few cars were coming through. Realizing I wouldn't have a free moment to get through again until the light turns red...(when the other would turn GREEN again, :lol:) I just slamed on the gas as hard as I got. Well, let me tell you. I did not go ANYWHERE. The wheels SCREAMED and I see smoke just pouring up from the wheel well on the drivers side...MAJOR torque steer. Finally, the car gets traction, with the tires still screaming at me, and I make it accross. I look in my mirror and see a Chevy Silverado drive through the smoke...STILL LINGERING...that *I* just made...with the STRONG smell of burning rubber.

I honestly still can't believe the SHO did that. I've never done it before but it was insane. In fact, it scared the crap out of me because I was not expecting it. I'd like to get a picture. :lol2: My tire now has a burnt looking white spot all the way around...is that bad? :eek:

I didn't mean to do it and I don't want to do it again. It scared the p00p out of me. :lol: That can't be good for the trans/tires.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It's not good for either, but as long as you don't do it all the time, you'll be cool. Conrats on the burnout though. That's awesome. People always look at me wierd when I break the tires loose on the Sable. They didn't think that a Sable could do that, they say. Now they know!

JR

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 28 2004, 11:07 PM
Come on...we all know that Vulcan's can't break the tires loose!!! lol...just kidding... :D Also...I'm batman...:batman:

JR
haha... you dont think so.... But I have! :p Not any more though. Since I've upgraded to 225's.... its not happening anymore.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Doing a one wheel burnout like that will screw your differential if you do it enough, or so I've been told.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 28 2004, 11:07 PM
Come on...we all know that Vulcan's can't break the tires loose!!!
unless the Vulcan is modified (which are quite a few around here!), you'd be lucky to get more then a little squeak out of the tires... I haven't tried the Duratec yet, not going to being that it's only 4 monthes old. I did it with my 90 LX, with a 3.8 and that smoked em pretty well, and at the time that engine had over 175k on it.

S

·
0 Posts
Sorry to say, but I hate Vulcans...lol It's all about the DURATEC and SHO POWAH!! LOL I want to add a little bit of both to my Sable.

Sal

J

·
0 Posts
My vulcan will break the tires loose pretty well. It would do it a lot more before, but my new tires have limited it quite a bit, which is good b/c that means they're working. B) But she can still do it. Believe it or not, my mom's 04 Sable w/ Duratec can't break them loose off the line. However, if I get it going about 10 mph and mash the gas, it will break them loose. :blink: Or going around a corner, then she really lights them up. B) I only tried a couple of times, it is a new car so I'm nice to it 99% of the time. :)

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
i'm planning on a bit of a smoke SHO today. will try to get it on video.

if i'm at a light and I just stomp on it they will squeek a little (maby 5 feet)

if I can get her above 4K it will put up a good SHOw.

i'm getting new tires tomorrow so what the hell. I hope it starts raining a bit B)

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Aug 29 2004, 08:45 AM
My vulcan will break the tires loose pretty well.
I'm able to if I find good conditions. If you want a nice long squeal from a vulcan, find a new or fairly new blacktop parking lot. You get much less traction than on cement. Now normally, I can do it any time I want to on blacktop, but if you want a longer one, turn while you do so. Even while turning, I've left some nice black marks from each tire. Yes that's right, from each tire. I was surprised I got both spinning too.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
With my grandparents 2003 Sable LS "Platinum Edition" last year, I did a quick brake tourque before making a right from a stop sign in the middle of our town and it screamed quite loud and left about a 12-15 long black mark because i held it to the floor the whole time. Kept screaming even after i straightend it out. I miss that car :( Rode so nice, such nice power, and with the Plat. Ed. looked damn nice. I keep a picture of it under sunglasses clip on my visor in hopes itll give my sable its powers when need be :D :lol2:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Oh brother. It's amazing what one little line can start huh. A whole debate over whether Vulcans can scratch. First I never said I had done a burnout in the Taurus, which I haven't yet but will today just for the hell of it. You can do a burnout in almost any car if you power brake it right. It also depends on the wear of your tires and the surface of the road you are on. Anyway sorry to have started a debate that I didn't mean to. Next time I will be a little more clear. As far as whether you should or shouldn't do burnouts and what it may or may not hurt on the car, I never think of it. Driving is supposed to be fun so if you are having fun just do it as long as no one gets hurt and you don't get a ticket out of it.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
No....Our engines DO last longer. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Aug 28 2004, 10:52 PM
Okay...so today I was in Lancaster taking care of some business. There is a VERY busy street that I needed to get accross to the far right lane, me being on the far left side. I notice the light turn green on one side...and red on the other...with just a few cars that made it through. Since the light just turned green, only a few cars were coming through. Realizing I wouldn't have a free moment to get through again until the light turns red...(when the other would turn GREEN again, :lol:) I just slamed on the gas as hard as I got. Well, let me tell you. I did not go ANYWHERE. The wheels SCREAMED and I see smoke just pouring up from the wheel well on the drivers side...MAJOR torque steer. Finally, the car gets traction, with the tires still screaming at me, and I make it accross. I look in my mirror and see a Chevy Silverado drive through the smoke...STILL LINGERING...that *I* just made...with the STRONG smell of burning rubber.

I honestly still can't believe the SHO did that. I've never done it before but it was insane. In fact, it scared the crap out of me because I was not expecting it. I'd like to get a picture. :lol2: My tire now has a burnt looking white spot all the way around...is that bad? :eek:

I didn't mean to do it and I don't want to do it again. It scared the p00p out of me. :lol: That can't be good for the trans/tires.

-Kyle
Can you imagine what the guy in the P/U was thinking? "WTF,was that a Taurus?"

unless the Vulcan is modified (which are quite a few around here!), you'd be lucky to get more then a little squeak out of the tires... I haven't tried the Duratec yet, not going to being that it's only 4 monthes old.
The TEC is very capable of doing burnouts. Dont even have to work at it hard.

You're just hating because our engines can last longer than yours
:whythis:
Where do you get that from?? Ive never heard anything of the sort.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Im sorry but if you ppl think vulcans cant break their tires loose youre stupid.
I have a stock 99 with goodyear integretys and boy can it squeal!! especially through turns....my poor tires...got no treads left almost, theyre like 3 months old
If u really want it to scream pop it in neutral rev it up and go
Not smart but it turns heads....trust me!!! lol its funny when older ppl give you crazy looks just cause youre squealing your tires

1 - 20 of 33 Posts