Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if you guys can help me with this transmission problem. I have a '97 Taurus with a 3.0 liter V6 and automatic transmission. Here's the problem: the car does not shift into high gear. It upshifts twice, then no matter how fast I'm driving, it will not shift into high. Is it a bad sensor? It has plenty of ATF in the trans.
It has the shifter on the steering column, not on the floor, so there is no overdrive lockout.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Might be the transmission range sensor on top of the tranny. Try moving the shifter a little further towards neutral when this happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be the transmission range sensor on top of the tranny. Try moving the shifter a little further towards neutral when this happens.
[/b]
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that, and it still doesn't shift.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
How many miles on the CPS and Syncro Shaft, and is your speedo reading correctly at all times?

A worn-out Syncro Shaft or non-Functional/damaged CPS can cuase shifting or engine performance problems.

An erratic VSS (vehicle speed sensor) can cause shifting problems. Some VSS when they are failing do not function in specific tranny speed ranges, which can cause shifting failure.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
When you turn the key to the "on" position does the CEL light up?

If so has it ever tripped a flashing light or the CEL

It could be a stuck solenoid

Mike
B)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Did the wiring to it come lose? If you lose one of the solenoid wires, it goes into hydromechanical mode, which gives you 1-3, and no TC lock.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
There's a TSB for that exact problem TSB 98-10-7 - my sister had to have it done on her car.

"TSB 98-10-7 TRANSAXLE - AX4N - NO 4TH GEAR AND DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) P0734 AND/OR P0761 FOR 1996-98 TAURUS/SABLE AND 1995-98 CONTINENTAL, AND DTC 648 FOR 1994-95 TAURUS/SABLE TRANSAXLE - AX4N - RETAINING CLIP FOR FORWARD CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE - SERVICE TIP

Publication Date: MAY 26, 1998

FORD: 1994-1998 TAURUS
LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1994-1998 SABLE
1995-1998 CONTINENTAL

ISSUE:
No 4th gear operation (no 3-4 shift) and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0734 and/or P0761 or 648 may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by a broken retaining clip in the valve body that secures the forward clutch control valve and spring in place.

ACTION:
Replace broken forward clutch control valve retaining clip with revised forward clutch control valve retaining clip. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Inspect for a broken retaining clip by removing the valve body and then the valve body separator plate. Inspect the forward clutch control valve, spring, retaining clip, and valve body casting for damage (Figure 1).

Figure 1 - Article 98-10-7

If the clip is broken and the forward clutch control valve and/or valve body casting is damaged, replace the main control. The retaining clip has just been revised to prevent the chance of breakage. The revised Retaining Clip (F8DZ-7F194-AA) has circular cutouts on the side of the clip in place of the square cutouts on the previous design level clip (Figure 2).

Figure 2 - Article 98-10-7

Inspect the new main control (if required) before installing it and replace this retaining clip for the forward clutch control valve and spring if it's not the new design (Figure 2).
Any time service is required on any AX4N transaxle main control, inspect the retaining clip for the forward clutch control valve to be sure it is the latest design level, and replace the retaining clip if it is not. The revised clip is larger and will remain centered in the valve body casting groove.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F8DZ-7F194-AA Forward Clutch Control Valve Retaining Clip"

Sorry that the pictures in the TSB don't copy and paste here, but you get the idea anyway.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Glad I found this thread. Last week I got this exact problem, a transmission error where the trans (1996 AX4N) wouldn't shift into fourth gear. I pulled the codes in the ecu and it came up with P0761, "Shift Solenoid C Performance or Stuck Off".

Nidan, where did you get the TSB information? I'd really like to look at those photos.

Interesting that the TSB was issued in 1998 - it took ten years and 212,000 miles for this to materialize.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bull Geek, thanks for the PDF.

Are there any other known causes for the P0761 trouble code? With my luck I'd pull the VB and find the retainer clip in perfect condition...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Also, is there a good writeup or service manual for pulling the valve body on the AX4N? I have a Haynes manual but it has very little information about the AX4N and even fewer photos.

If I go through with this repair I'll take plenty of pictures and post a detailed write up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the links, very helpful.

I ordered the Forward Clutch Control Valve Retaining Clip (F8DZ-7F194-AA) today. $4.58.

I noticed that in this post
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...st&p=454454
there is mention of an updated boost valve. Specifically, what is the part number and function of this item? Is this a Ford OEM part or aftermarket?

Are any of the solenoids in the valve body interchangable, or are they all unique? I'm thinking about replacing the solenoid as well.

Is there anything else I should consider rebuilding while I have the valve body out? I don't care about performance, I just want to squeeze as much longevity out of this transmission as possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Picked up the control valve retaining clip. I intend on doing this myself, but just for grins I asked the service guy at the dealer to quote me on performing the TSB. $432. He explained that the 2.4 Hours on the TSB are the warranty hours, and that the procedure actually takes about 5 hours to complete. Great. Without a lift it's going to take me a lot longer.

Important question: are there any special tools I'm going to need to pull the valve body and perform this TSB? By special I mean beyond standard wrenches and sockets - automatic transmissions sometimes require special dealer-item tools...

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could this be the same problem in a 2002?
Mine will go into OD when cold but when it warms up no OD and I get the P0734 code.
Thanks, Rob

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Could this be the same problem in a 2002?
Mine will go into OD when cold but when it warms up no OD and I get the P0734 code.
Thanks, Rob
[/b]
Rob,

What transmission do you have, the AX4N or AX4S? Are you getting only a check engine light or are you getting a check transaxle light also?

The shop manual for the '02 states:

Code: P0734
Component: SSA, SSC, or internal parts
Description: 4th gear failure.
Condition: Incorrect gear ratio while commanding 4th gear.
Symptom: Incorrect gear selection depending on condition mode and manual lever position: see solenoid operation chart. Shift errors may also be due to other internal transaxle concerns (e.g., stuck valves, damaged friction material) (TCIL flashing, California only). [/b]
Attached is a pdf troubleshooting document that further details the no 3-4 shift concern.

[attachmentid=24873]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I pulled all the shift solenoids on my 2000 Friday.

They were all the exact same solenoid.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone.
i currently own a 96 Taurus Wagon GL v6 3.0l that is doing this same problem.
i bought this car used in what seemed to be EXCELLENT condition.
Little did i know that the reason he would not let me take it on speeds that were higher was becuz he was hiding a dirty little secret, a secret i inherited and now have sunk 845 dollars into...
I too was led to believe that my Solenoid #3 was bad and i told them that while they had it open to replace them ALL.... he replaced 3 solenoids....told me it was good to go.
I get it not even a half mile down the road and the Service Eng light comes on the the darn O/D off green light starts blinking. Later that night I found out the loss of the higher gear still. I am due to take it back to them on Monday and i am gonna try to present this to them and pray they listen. I cannot afford for them to try to tell me its just a "bad" transmission. It shifts way too nicely any other time and i even found a receipt from the last owners where they replaced the SAME bad solenoid not even 3 months before i bought the car from them....If this doesn't work, i don't know what i can do. They require smogging in my city and u can't pass smog with service eng light on and the only code i am popping is the darn P0761.....
Please tell me if there are any other possible causes for this. It would be nice to see that darn O/D off green blinking light go off and stay off and for my car to stop telling me it has a stuck solenoid #3 LOL....
PLEASE HELP ME
dj

1 - 20 of 21 Posts