Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's amazing how big of a comeback the Focus has made. I dare say the Focus sits on top of its class right now. Ford really took the bull by the horns and took care of getting the Focus on track and exceeding expectations. It was one of the Car & Driver 10 best this year and for good reasons. I give Ford a lot of credit for issuing recalls with the early models and getting things fixed and having the latest models mostly bug-free.


After having a Focus rental, I actually like them and wouldn't mind owning one. If I were to get one, though, it would be an SVT Focus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
I took a Focus ZX3 for a weekend-long test drive last Spring and I really liked it. Fully loaded it was only around $13k. Used ones are even a bigger bargain because their resale value is as bad if not worse than our cars. I really liked the ride quality and handling, and with the 5-speed it was zippy enough for me. Wouldn't want an automatic though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Mar 9 2004, 02:42 AM
Ford really took the bull by the horns and took care of getting the Focus on track and exceeding expectations.
You just **HAD** to throw that little pun in there, didn't you??


-DC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
The current Focus is blah... I hate the interior. The 2005 Focus will have a more "mature" interior and a nice facelift (the Focus needs one). The chassis and the overall design of the US Focus won't change until about 2008-2009, while the European Focus is enjoying a similar, but newer chassis.

Ford knows the Focus is on a roll, and it is not going to upset the momentum by changing the chassis, which could invite recalls and problems like the early Focus.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by duratecchie+Mar 9 2004, 02:14 AM-->QUOTE (duratecchie @ Mar 9 2004, 02:14 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-jason8225
@Mar 9 2004, 02:42 AM
Ford really took the bull by the horns and took care of getting the Focus on track and exceeding expectations.
You just **HAD** to throw that little pun in there, didn't you??


-DC [/b]
I didn't even realize I did that!
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by civicex@Mar 9 2004, 03:30 AM
The current Focus is blah... I hate the interior. The 2005 Focus will have a more "mature" interior and a nice facelift (the Focus needs one). The chassis and the overall design of the US Focus won't change until about 2008-2009, while the European Focus is enjoying a similar, but newer chassis.

Ford knows the Focus is on a roll, and it is not going to upset the momentum by changing the chassis, which could invite recalls and problems like the early Focus.
Yeah, I agree, it could use a facelift. They pretty muched dumped it out on the market ASAP with the early models because they needed it to stay competitive, I'm confident they'll get the chassis redesign and whatnot right on the first try this time because they've got more time to work on it . Every manufacturer has first year bugs, but IMO, Ford is generally pretty good about getting their crap together before putting something on the market; hence the reason they always seems to be slightly behind.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
500 Posts
Unfortunately they won't offer the European only Focus RS(Rally Sport??) with about 300hp. The market in the US just can't seem to get over the fact that it is a Ford and you can't pay more than $25k for car that small no matter how bad @** it is.

The SVT Focus was on my short list of new cars when I got my '04.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
The SVT Focus will be "gone" like the Camaro and the Firebird. The SVT division is being reorganized for upmarket performance and image, so the SVT Focus is going away for an undetermined amount of years. It will be replaced by the Focus ST, which will not be as high-performance as the SVT, but will be more sporty than the regular Focus. Once the 05 facelift comes around, the SVT version is gone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by 3-fords1000@Mar 9 2004, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately they won't offer the European only Focus RS(Rally Sport??) with about 300hp. The market in the US just can't seem to get over the fact that it is a Ford and you can't pay more than $25k for car that small no matter how bad @** it is.

The SVT Focus was on my short list of new cars when I got my '04.
There was a Focus RS in Europe, but it made 200 bhp via turbo and FWD - however it had a special LSD that made it faster than a Civic Type R and Subbie WRX (not the STi mind you) on a road course. It too was discountinued this year.

If you really want to get the new Euro Focus, buy a Mazda3 - it is built on the same chassis and shares some engine components IIRC.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by civicex@Mar 9 2004, 01:53 PM
The SVT Focus will be "gone" like the Camaro and the Firebird.  The SVT division is being reorganized for upmarket performance and image, so the SVT Focus is going away for an undetermined amount of years.  It will be replaced by the Focus ST, which will not be as high-performance as the SVT, but will be more sporty than the regular Focus.  Once the 05 facelift comes around, the SVT version is gone.
Actually, my uncle who is a plant manager for Ford told me that the SVT line is only going away for two years while they get the ST line in production and in the mean time SVT will be getting a major overhaul. So ST will be a performance line, and SVT will become a higher performance line of vehicles.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top