Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2002 Ford Taurus Wagon 3.0L V6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the Advance Auto Parts website and am being given 3 options for the engine type:
1. 3.0L 2968CCV6FIVIN:S
2. 2986CCV6FIVIN:2-FLEX
3. 2986CCV6FIVIN:U
On an invoice from a previous repair it's noted that the engine is a 3.0L V6 OHV 12V
Which one of the three options refers to my engine?
thanks!

· Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
934 Posts
Almost certainly #3.

Option #1 refers to a Duratec 24V engine which is easily recognizable because it says so on the engine and it also typically has a DOHC label on the front fenders.
Option #2 (the Flex Fuel version of the Vulcan 12V engine) has a FFV label on the front fenders.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^+1
Since it is an OHV it could have either transmission (the DOHC was not compatible with the AX4S) check your driver's door jamb stcker for the transmission type
It was hard to read the sticker because some of the words were worn away. It looked like an L. So we were able to find the right sensor and installed it. However, the speedometer still doesn't register. We checked the fuses and they were all okay, so I guess the next step is look at the ECU. I found this one online. Have you used this company before? The price is much cheaper than at the parts store or the dealer. https://www.fs1inc.com/2002-ford-taurus-engine-computer-pcm-ecm-ecu-programmed-1.html

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^+1. On the drivers door end sticker under "TR" will be an "L" for the AX4S transmission or an "X" for the AX4N (AF50N) transmission.
Thanks. The sticker was hard to read because some of the letters were worn awy, but it did look like an L. We were able to find the correct sensor and installed it. The speedometer still doesn't register so It looks like it could be the ECU since the fuses are okay.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll ask my husband to have a look at it tomorrow. He's snoozing now.
Actually, for over a month the check engine light was on constantly. A friend who is a mechanic said not to worry about it, but could be a problem with the transmission, but if it goes bad it won't be a sudden thing, but there will be a warning. In other words, nothing would happen suddenly.
So a couple weeks ago I was driving along and in addition to the check engine light being on constantly, the door open icon showed up. I was pretty sure that all of my doors were closed but I pulled over and checked to make sure, and they were all closed. I proceeded along the way and my door locks were locking and unlocking a few times. This ended and didn't recurr. Another thing that I noticed originally with my speedometer not registering is that my tachometer is also not registering.

· Registered
23,737 Posts
Actually, for over a month the check engine light was on constantly. A friend who is a mechanic said not to worry about it, but could be a problem with the transmission, but if it goes bad it won't be a sudden thing, but there will be a warning. In other words, nothing would happen suddenly.
So a couple weeks ago I was driving along and in addition to the check engine light being on constantly, the door open icon showed up. I was pretty sure that all of my doors were closed but I pulled over and checked to make sure, and they were all closed. I proceeded along the way and my door locks were locking and unlocking a few times. This ended and didn't recurr. Another thing that I noticed originally with my speedometer not registering is that my tachometer is also not registering.
For the door open icon, may try spraying each door end latch profusely with wd-40 with red extension straw attached and open/close doors several times. If the warning doesn't return, spray each latch with white lithium grease spray with red ext. straw for longer lasting protection. Both available at Walmart.

· Administrator
14,289 Posts
Tachometer not registering would have been a good thing to know upfront, could have saved yourself the money and time spent on the speed sensor. As Sheila mentioned above , the door ajar light is most often the latch especially if the interior light is on. However if the interior light is not on the issue could be the instrument cluster, which would explain the tach and speedo issues.

· Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
934 Posts
Actually, for over a month the check engine light was on constantly.
You should check the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) with an OBDII-scanner. You can have that done by somebody else, but a simple OBDII-scanner is always a good investment.
Another thing that I noticed originally with my speedometer not registering is that my tachometer is also not registering.
The speedometer and tachometer are completely unrelated but you are right that they are both controlled by the PCM.

So the problem is either in the instrument cluster or its wiring to the PCM. You could check fuses 16 and 27 (underneath the dash) since they power the instrument panel, but they are most likely OK because - if not - many other things also don't work. The connector at the instrument cluster is of course very difficult to reach.

You are right that in theory it could be the PCM and that both its tachometer output (48) and its speedometer output (68) are broken, but that sounds a bit unlikely.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the door open icon, may try spraying each door end latch profusely with wd-40 with red extension straw attached and open/close doors several times. If the warning doesn't return, spray each latch with white lithium grease spray with red ext. straw for longer lasting protection. Both available at Walmart.
Thanks Sheila!

· Premium Member
714 Posts
On the top of the transmission bell housing will be a metal tag with the transmission code.
Be sure to check the wires leading to the connector that attaches to the speed sensor,
I had one that melted and was a short and that triggered the MIL and error code.
Most of the time the speed sensor will not cause a code but no speedometer and tach, long first gear up to 30mph and then WHAM hard upshift to second gear.

· Registered
2,099 Posts
if you had the right OBD2 scan tool, you should be able to read the vehicle speed off of it to verify the sensors and computer are working

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You should check the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) with an OBDII-scanner. You can have that done by somebody else, but a simple OBDII-scanner is always a good investment.

The speedometer and tachometer are completely unrelated but you are right that they are both controlled by the PCM.

So the problem is either in the instrument cluster or its wiring to the PCM. You could check fuses 16 and 27 (underneath the dash) since they power the instrument panel, but they are most likely OK because - if not - many other things also don't work. The connector at the instrument cluster is of course very difficult to reach.

You are right that in theory it could be the PCM and that both its tachometer output (48) and its speedometer output (68) are broken, but that sounds a bit unlikely.
Thanks. I'm going to discuss all of the ideas presented here to my mechanic after he returns from vacation after Oct 25th.My husband totally lost interest in the issues after he replaced the speed sensor, so I'm going to have to get some outside help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts