Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided the best thing to do this evening was take out some anger on my air bag cover and ended up cracking it in a few places and turning the mercury logo into a candy dish. Is replacing it the same as on the taurus? If I remember correctly you take the plastic cover off the column, 2 or 4 screws on the back of the steering wheel, and then you can gain access to the screws to remove the cover and replace it. I'm assuming it isn't part of the actual air bag itself.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
time for a new airbag (color matched if you want) and a clockspring too, definitely. Luckily, both are easily removeable from junkyard 04s-07s. When did you get an 05?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
time for a new airbag (color matched if you want) and a clockspring too, definitely. Luckily, both are easily removeable from junkyard 04s-07s. When did you get an 05?
Lucky break really. After my $500 '01 taurus I found a little old lady selling her '05 with 16,000 miles. I was able to get it for a great price, and it's completely loaded. Haven't had any issues with it at all except flat spotted tires and me using it as a punching bag, haha. I think I'm going to lower it and tint the windows like I usually do and then drive it until the wheels fall off. I guess it's back to the junk yards looking for a clean airbag (I guess the cover is part of the assembly?).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Dang, very nice man! Good score. Yea the cover is part of the airbag assembly, but two screws hold the airbag on to the steering wheel iirc. What color is the 05?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts