Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was hit by a suburban. And have huge dent in left quarter panel. What would it cost to have it fixed?
Also, my car is running rough when cold.
Dies on me at lights .
What could that be?

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
A picture of the dent would help to take a guess. But figuring repair and paint it will at least be $1000, but what year is your car?
Rough idle could be a vacuum leak or coil, plugs and plug wires.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Our 2000 was hit in the rear quarter panel 2 years ago. Even without seeing it, I'd feel confident betting the repair will exceed the car's value and your car will be considered totaled. If it's still driveable then just pocket the insurance money. I took ours to a couple body shops and finally found a guy who used a slide hammer to pull most of the dent out away from the tire. I paid him $20 for spending 5 minutes helping me. The drawback is that it ultimately reduces the re-sale value some. Also, if there was contact with the wheel, you should get the alignment checked.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I suppose there could be a front of the quarter panel...lol. If it is in fact the fender, they MIGHT get away with a repair in the neighborhood of $1000-$1500 since it's basically replacing the fender and paint. Quarter panel...I seriously doubt they'd get away with anything less than $2500. Too much labor in body work.

·
Super Moderator
8,502 Posts
Assuming it is a front fender (as noted above, no such thing as a front quarter panel), I would head over to the local junk yard(s) and find a fender the same color as your car, and replace it with the JY fender. Front fenders are pretty easy to remove / install. If you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself, a body shop would be able to remove the damaged fender and replace it with the "new" JY one for WAY cheaper than fixing and repainting the damaged fender.

Reactions: snosaint

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
I replaced the front fender and door with color matched parts from a JY for $75. Damaged from a deer running into the side was over $1800 and car was totaled by the insurance company and they gave me a check for $2300 and I got the car. I had to pay $475 for the car from them.

Insurance paid $600 to replace and repaint the rear bumper on one of my 2001 Taurus
photo (2).jpg

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
I replaced the front fender and door with color matched parts from a JY for $75. Damaged from a deer running into the side was over $1800 and car was totaled by the insurance company and they gave me a check for $2300 and I got the car. I had to pay $475 for the car from them.

Insurance paid $600 to replace and repaint the rear bumper on one of my 2001 Taurus
Insurance gave me $7200 and I paid them $406 for this. $300 for windshield, and ~$44 each for top glass and hood. 115K more miles and she is still ticking. Top dents are still there. Tree fall. Rusty now. Insurance guy said they would have to cut the top off and replace it and repaint the whole car. New fender, hood, windshield, top glass and clean the insides of glass spears. I took the seats out and used leaf blower and compressed air in the vents. Repeat.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here is a resource to help you find parts near you. I was able to find a front fender with the inner and a door in the same pearly white and my continental after adeer ran into the side of it! . Bonus is it was as sun aged as my original which was parked out side. Could not tell the difference whae we put them on. Back then they had better search parameters built in, but with a little time you can likely find what you need.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My car was hit by a suburban. And have huge dent in left quarter panel. What would it cost to have it fixed?
Also, my car is running rough when cold.
Dies on me at lights .
What could that be?
Dude, if the only thing messed up is the front quarter panel, that's a DIY job.
I did it on my 2000 taurus about 3 years ago.
Find a donor car at your local Pick n Pull for what? $25?
When I did it, I even found a donor that was the exact same color.
What is the year taurus and version you have?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts