Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im trying to help my buddy get his defroster working. He put in the cd player with aftermarket faceplate back in the summer. We since have not looked at it since it was not really needed.

How exactly do we go about hooking up the illumination on the new face plate as well as the defrost switch? Its a 99. We have a schematic but still do not quite understand..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Easy, I managed to figure this out without a diagram at first after a lot of guess and test.

Yank out the light switch, there is a thin light blue/black wire. Cut it off close to the connector, and splice it into the thin dark blue/white wire. Now, on the harness that went to the ICP, hook the light blue/black wire up to the illumination. It'll provide the PWM'ed 12V like the rest of the illumination has. The ICP has a different illumination input for some reason.

The rear defroster is the dark blue/orange wire on the harness that went to the ICP. Momentarily toggle it to ground to switch the defroster on/off.

Edit: Now, for some still unknown reason, in my car, the heated mirrors plug and play mod didn't work after this, but you can just splice them directly into the big brown/green wire in the drivers side kick panel. Theoretically the should have worked, but they didn't for me.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey, im trying to help my buddy get his defroster working. He put in the cd player with aftermarket faceplate back in the summer. We since have not looked at it since it was not really needed.

How exactly do we go about hooking up the illumination on the new face plate as well as the defrost switch? Its a 99. We have a schematic but still do not quite understand..
[/b]
Didn't the kit just plug into the factory harness connectors? Make sure all the connectors are fully seated. I had that problem when i installed my kit - i didn't get one connector fully seated, so my rear defroster wouldn't turn on with the switch, only with the remote start fob. Once i seated the connector, it was fine. I also swapped the illumination wire on the kit from where it was to match up with the factory illumination wire so that the HVAC controls would light up and dim with the rest of the dash, instead of just being on full bright with the key on (or lights on - can't remember now exactly how it was set up, but i didn't like it).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts