Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2013 Taurus SHO with 76,000 miles on it. While I was finishing up at the dealer they offered me a warranty. I decided not to go for it but just talked with a friend who also works at a dealership and he recommended I go with it. I had two options one for 3 years/36k miles for $1700 that covered everything that can go wrong on the car or 5 years/100k miles for power train only for $1400. Each one has a $100 deductible which isn’t a big deal and also my interest rate would drop a half percent because the bank would then qualify the car as a new car. What do you guys think, should I go back and get one of them? I have 14 days to add it to the loan.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I usually don't go for those offers. I figure they are either the worst thing or the best thing. If you need work done, then it is the best thing. Is it a Ford Warranty or some aftermarket. Someone I know recently bought a wheel and tire one on a 2017 Denali Canyon. He had a flat and had the tire replaced at 6 pm. He call the insurance company two days later and they wouldn't cover anything because he needed to call in 24 hrs. I also have been able to have them drop the price significantly by holding out. On my daughter's Camry I got them to drop the cost at least $500.

Is that one of those high cost water pump replacement engines?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually don't go for those offers. I figure they are either the worst thing or the best thing. If you need work done, then it is the best thing. Is it a Ford Warranty or some aftermarket. Someone I know recently bought a wheel and tire one on a 2017 Denali Canyon. He had a flat and had the tire replaced at 6 pm. He call the insurance company two days later and they wouldn't cover anything because he needed to call in 24 hrs. I also have been able to have them drop the price significantly by holding out. On my daughter's Camry I got them to drop the cost at least $500.

Is that one of those high cost water pump replacement engines?
The warranty goes through Ford if anything needs serviced. It also comes with roadside assistance and a loaner car if needed. The water pump question, not sure honestly. Also, what do you mean by holding out.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I come out and tell them I want it at a lower price because it isn't worth it at that price. There is a big commission or markup on those policies. If it was me I would have said I would buy it for $1000 and negotiate from there. Watch out on the 5 years /100k miles because it may mean a 100k total which may only add 24k of warranty miles.

·
Midwest Chapter Mod
1,152 Posts
I have read testimonials that the roadside assistance is absolutely deplorable.

And that trying to get anything covered is quite the craptastic process.

I personally would steer clear.

But it's your choice ultimately.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Warranties are one of those things where they either pay themselves off with one major repair or just end up costing you more versus if you paid out of pocket.

That's the truth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was going to edit my previous post, but I'll just add this for clarity

If you (or anyone) decides to purchase a warranty on a CPO Taurus/SHO and decide to purchase Ford's Extended Service Plan (ESP) know that it's one of the best in the business. This isn't saying you should or shouldn't get it, but it's a fact it's one of the best.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The only time I've ever bought an extended warranty was on a used mini-van for my wife. They had a reputation for going through transmissions so I took the powertrain coverage. Even through it was sold by a Ford dealer the warranty was through a third-party. I'm sure they made great commission on it but in the end it paid for itself with one engine repair. A drawback was that the work had to be done by one of their 'approved' repair centers so I could not use my local trusted mechanic who was not on their list. If I am ever tempted to do that again I'll ask more questions up front and try negotiating the price as suggested.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If the water pump goes,
and takes the engine out as well,
it would have been nice to have the extended warranty,
if it works as the salespeople explain it.

Or if the trans or other major system craps out.

Read the warranty carefully.

Search for water pump failures on this forum.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
If the water pump goes,
and takes the engine out as well,
it would have been nice to have the extended warranty,
if it works as the salespeople explain it.

Or if the trans or other major system craps out.

Read the warranty carefully.

Search for water pump failures on this forum.
I would be interested in what years have the pump inside.
Our son's '17 F-150 has it belt driven, outside in plain sight, it would be one of the easiest to change I have seen. And it uses 2 belts, and 200A alt. It is a basic 6 speed. One belt just for A/C.
-chart-

-chart-

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cars are so expensive to repair that unless you do your own repairs, warranties can be a good deal. I have purchased two of them
-- one warranty extension on a new car and one on an older one, and have saved money each time. But I dealt with reputable warranty companies, which made all the difference. I'd have a warranty on my 2000 Taurus SE now if I could, but the car is apparently considered too old to qualify, even though it has less than 80k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Save your money for future repairs. Coworker has his water pump explode on the Toyota on I-40 while driving 70mph (legal limit),
took out the engine and warranty company refused to pay anything, dealership refunded the cost of the warranty he paid when he got the car new two years ago.
Coworker also got a Dodge Caravan and warranty, had leaking head gasket, no go, 'we don't cover leaking gaskets'.

She had to pay for the repair and the warranty because she financed it with the car.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
You have to read the fine print like a lawyer with warranties on the exclusions.
In the appliance industry they don't cover a lot of common things, like a door gasket on a dishwasher. WTF it's a common item and a cheap part with a 5 min. install.
It's a big business now, research the Co. offering the coverage, you will be surprised on a lot of negative feedback.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
repairman54
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing