Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actron OBDII scanner

Hey all, I just ran across this smokin deal on an OBD2 (on-board diagnostics) scanner at Advance auto parts. This scanner reads and displays check engine lights, clears codes and it even monitors engine sensors while driving (Air fuel ratio, speed, throttle position, RPM, engine load and so on). The cheapo $60 ones DON'T do this. They only give you a code and then you need to hop online and retrieve what it means; they also don't clear the codes.

Now some of you are wondering "I'm not a mechanic, why do I need this?" Well, if you've ever taken your car to the shop and have them scan it, it usually costs 1hour labor. That can range anywhere from $75-105.
So what it would normally cost you just to get it checked you can buy a scanner and do it yourself.

The best part is it works on ALL cars from 1996 to present. The tool is updatable so if you get a newer car, then this tool won't become obsolete.

So, if you've ever had a check engine light come on your car, this little tool is an invaluable resource. You can see what it is yourself, and even clear it.

Just thought I give you guys a heads up.

PS: It's on sale right now, $30 off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
***UPDATE***

Supposedly, if you buy this online and add another cheap item, like a $1.50 sponge (to make it over $100), then enter the code LC123 at check out, it knocks another $40 off of the price.

This was suggested by a member of another forum I frequent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i saw some price difference while through net surfing i search some online shop but i suggest that www.autopartsway.com is providing the best rates for all kinds of parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
been to both advance and autopartsway. Online seems to be much cheaper for the same item since either one is made in China. I don't need my OBD II since I bought an older Ford with TFI-IV

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have the same scanner, I like it. Live data will help you check all the sensor values, without a multimeter and having to unplug stuff. I've used it to clear the all too common p0300 code that comes up once a year on this car, I think becouse I need a software update to correct my idle issue, otherwise, nothing is wrong with my car. My o2 sensors are still doing well, with 117k. Every home mechanic should consider getting one of these scanners. The only issue I have is the instructions don't tell you what the sensor parameters should be, so you'll have to get them online, or from a shop manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts