Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gone on a vacation for a week. The temperature was below freezing. When I returned, my 99 Taurus refused to start. Dome light, door locks still work though the battery charge is so weak that the car can't even honk properly. The same thing happened a month ago as well. Is my battery dead or do I have some other problem?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was gone on a vacation for a week. The temperature was below freezing. When I returned, my 99 Taurus refused to start. Dome light, door locks still work though the battery charge is so weak that the car can't even honk properly. The same thing happened a month ago as well. Is my battery dead or do I have some other problem?
[/b]
How old is the battery? Most likely it has a dead cell and will have to be replaced. Bring it into a battery shop for proper diagnosis...

-GH

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 3 years old Duralast battery. Conveniently, the free replacement warranty period expired five days ago. I can still get about 60% of original price if it really is dead. Today I jump started the car. After running engine for 20 minutes, I turned it off. The car didn't start after that. In fact, everything electrical stopped working (lights, locks, radio, etc). I am hoping it's just a dead battery. I'll go to Autozone tomorrow to test it and hopefully replace it.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
More than likely there is some excessive current draw. The battery should last at least three weeks to a month if all is good. Hard to troubleshoot though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
shoz123
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing