Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished changing the crankshaft accessory drive pulley on my son's car. I had removed the starter to access the fly wheel. After putting everything back together I started it up. I noticed the dome light had a slight flicker. Turned the headlights on and they also have a very slight flicker also. Dash lights appear to be okay, no alt light and no codes. I started to think what I might have disturbed when I did the pulley change. Finally asked my son if it had been doing it and he said "Oh yeah". So now I have a new problem and need to ask a stupid question. I did a search on flickering lights and it brought up problems with the the Daytime Running Lights. Now the stupid question... How do I tell if I have Daytime Running Lights? and if I have them where is the module? Battery is less than a month old and all contacts are clean and tight. Alternator is just over a year old. 1999 Duratec. Thanks for any help.

Ed

·
Registered
619 Posts
DRL, if present, will operate the high beams at ~70% intensity, provided: Key On, Park Brake Off, Autolamp reading daylight.

DRL is integrated function of GEM behind/above fusebox under dash.

Suggest checking grounds under hood first, connections to alternator, and load test battery. New batterys have been known to fail.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a light sensor on the passenger's dash. Does this mean I have DRL's. I looked in the online owner's manual but it did not explain it well. Can it be turned off and on, or is it automatic?

Ed

·
Registered
424 Posts
I do have a light sensor on the passenger's dash. Does this mean I have DRL's. I looked in the online owner's manual but it did not explain it well. Can it be turned off and on, or is it automatic?

Ed
The light sensor on the dash is for the auto lamps, the DRL's have a module somewhere inside the DS fender. It can be turned off 3 ways: When you turn your headlights on, if you pull the fuse, or unplug the module.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
If you have autolamp, youll have 2 thumbwheels to the right of the headlight switch. To turn off autolamp feature, simply roll the thumbwheel on the right downwards until it clicks. You can tell by looking at heat/ac controls if youre automatic (eatc). I may be wrong, but im thinking pass. dash sensor (sunload) senses light and cabin temperature? Drls, i havent a clue. Only know theyre mandatory in Canada.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Check the topic finder, there's a posting about DRL's, and how to disable them. Your son's year Taurus has a relay next to the battery tray (if it has that option), where the later years (like mine), it's built into the gem, and can't be turned off. My car has a idle issue (like many others this model year), that the idle goes up and down about 50 rpms, and causes the lights to flicker (2 dealers can't fix that issue). Is the car running okay at idle? Another thing to check is the iac valve, they get dirty and gummed up with age, and can cause a unstable idle.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Austex,
Car is idling fine. No change in rpm. Will start looking into it tomorrow and have more info. The car does have EATC and it has the two thumb wheels on the light switch panel.

Ed

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No real update other than I verified my car does not have DRL. I found where the module would be and the connector is there but has a shorting plug installed instead of the module. Still have not pinned down the source of my flicker. I think it is the alternator. It is so faint that I am going to live with it for a while until it gets worse.

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts