Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law just bought a 2010 Taurus and he is very annoyed that DRL's are disabled. Is there a way to get them fired up using an OBD-II scanner possibly?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
probably would require a reflash at a dealer

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Just turn the headlight switch to "on"

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
IIRC, you may want to check with a reputable dealer, but I remember reading that 08 and 09 Tauruses could be brought to the dealer, where their computer can be hooked up to turn the DRL function ON or OFF. Not sure if this is applicable to 2010s...

Quote from another Forum...
"The SJB can be configured to turn the DRL on for the Taurus and Taurus X. Refer to Section 418-01 (ford service manual) for additional information on this programmable parameter." This is true for the Sable as well.

Maybe this is the same for the 2010? IDK but could be something worth discussing with your dealer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I attempted to order my 2010 Taurus Limited with the option of these daytime running lamps for $50 even that this option was for Fleet Orders only. Sure enough they would not accept it. I then asked the Service Department to call Ford and see if they could add this feature. No was the answer. I then asked if a technician could wire then. Was informed that it could cost $200 or more to figure it our. Since I have added this feature to all my cars myself in the past I ordered the factory wiring diagrams for this car and started on it today. First off I know what needs to be done but WOW very little room to access the wiring in this big car. Now not sure I want to attempt this! Wiring diagrams show the Factory installed lamps use TWO daytime running lamp relays (both empty in battery junction box w/no wiring).

The answer is they can not be "Turned-On" or "Flashed" but may be wired to be on using one of the universal kits, but does not look at all that simple of a project at this time with no kit available from Ford.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I attempted to order my 2010 Taurus Limited with the option of these daytime running lamps for $50 even that this option was for Fleet Orders only. Sure enough they would not accept it. I then asked the Service Department to call Ford and see if they could add this feature. No was the answer. I then asked if a technician could wire then. Was informed that it could cost $200 or more to figure it our. Since I have added this feature to all my cars myself in the past I ordered the factory wiring diagrams for this car and started on it today. First off I know what needs to be done but WOW very little room to access the wiring in this big car. Now not sure I want to attempt this! Wiring diagrams show the Factory installed lamps use TWO daytime running lamp relays (both empty in battery junction box w/no wiring).

The answer is they can not be "Turned-On" or "Flashed" but may be wired to be on using one of the universal kits, but does not look at all that simple of a project at this time with no kit available from Ford.
That is one thing I feel should be federally mandated, like Canada does with DRL's. I'm happy my fleet Taurus has them, insurance companies sometimes give discounts for having DRL's (mine does). My next car will also have DRL's. The '10 Taurus dosen't come with DRL's, and the '11 Fiesta SE I drove did? wtf?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hmmm OK so it's just the 08s and 9s that can be turned on/off through programming in a module. Good info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a section for programable premiters(spelling) in the IDS for the 08-09 Taurus/Sable to turn them on and off. I will have to check on the 2010 next time I have one here at the Training Center.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a section for programable premiters(spelling) in the IDS for the 08-09 Taurus/Sable to turn them on and off. I will have to check on the 2010 next time I have one here at the Training Center.
I just looked at the workshop manual and it does have the ability to be turned on or off. I do not know what the dealer would charge for this but I would guess around 1/2 to 1 hour for the hooking up of the scan tool. (IDS)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I'd like to see one shred of proof that DRL make the car any safer? We have had them how long? Seriously, in Canada are the number of head on collisions in normal or adverse weather and different between vehicles that do or do not have DRLs? I'm glad my car does not have DRLs. I like to be able to turn my headlights on and off whenever I choose. GM only developed the DRL thing to try to see if they could force Ford and Chrysler into a hard spot by getting it as a federal law. Fortunately for us intelligent people who know how the headlight switch works, the law failed to pass.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I'd like to see one shred of proof that DRL make the car any safer? We have had them how long? Seriously, in Canada are the number of head on collisions in normal or adverse weather and different between vehicles that do or do not have DRLs?
I think it is kind of like the third hi-mount brake light. It made a big difference when it was first introduced, but as people got used to seeing it they didn't notice it as much and it became less effective.

I'll tell you one thing though, DRL's help alot when some idiot doesn't know how to use the headlight switch and just drives around with parking lights or no lights at all during dusk or nighttime.:eek:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I'll tell you one thing though, DRL's help alot when some idiot doesn't know how to use the headlight switch and just drives around with parking lights or no lights at all during dusk or nighttime.:eek:

DRLs are one of the reasons why people forget to turn on the headlights at night.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Is there a simple way to "disable" the DRL's if your Taurus came equipped with them?

The DRL's were an option on the car I have. I'd like to replace the original 9005 bulbs with some 4300k HID equivalents.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Everything is in the smart junction box, so you can't mess with it electrically. You need to take it to a dealer and have them use the scan tool on it. They just go in and change a setting and you're done in 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Good find. I know my Fusion of similar vintage didn't have a separate fuse, so I incorrectly assumed you wouldn't either. But I guess you got lucky!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts