Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Running Lights blue dash indicator--weird electrical issues?

I had loose rad fans re-mounted yesterday. The bottom fan mount brackets needed replacement.

When I picked up the car, the blue daytime-headlights dash indicator came on when I started up.

Since I've owned the wagon I have never seen this indicator except when I switch on nighttime high-beams.

The indicator looked 'flickery'; then went out.

We are having really humid and heavy rainy weather here.

I have too an intermittent 'bump' in the standing-start upshift from 1st to 2nd that seemed to disappear with last weekend's high-humidity sloppy rainy weather.

Does this suggest some odd electrical connectivity issues in the engine bay that seem to 'improve' with soaking rainy weather?

Have any of you seen similar weird electrical issues?

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
Check headlight grounds and be sure the headlight sockets and terminals on the headlight bulbs are clean and corrosion free. If a headlight looses it ground the low beam current will feed back thru the high beam filament and light up both the low and high beams dimly and also light up the high beam indicator dimly on the dash.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check headlight grounds and be sure the headlight sockets and terminals on the headlight bulbs are clean and corrosion free.QUOTE]

I just noticed significant condensation on the interior surface the right headlight housing. That will definitely cause some electrical issues. How to remedy that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The headlights are made to be water resistant, and will automatically drain (albeit somewhat slowly). There shouldn't be any electrical issues unless the headlights were filled with water over an extended period of time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Back again with this! The hi-beam indicator on the dash should be lighted when the daytime running lights are in use. The only way to check daytime lights is to look at the headlamps directly; or reflected by something (like a car ahead of you--not so safe).

Ford tech told me Service Manual states hi-beam indicator should be on only when hi-beams are in use--but DRL uses exactly the hi-beams!

The schematic I have shows DRL module sends signal directly to the hi-beam indicator only when engine running and when headlamp switch is off and P-brake switch is off. Looks like the official Service Manual is incorrect. The dash hi-beams indicator serves a dual purpose just as does the brake indicator.

There's a grey-white wire that leads from the DRL module to, you guessed it, the dash cluster. My DRLs work, but I bet there's a loose or broken wire somewhere there. Also, my schematic shows the hi-beam dash ground ties to the headlamp switch ground. Hmmm.

Could the DRL module be at fault? Is there a relay inside it that shunts signal to the dash indicator when the P-brake is released, engine running, but headlamp switch off? The DRL module gets very hot. It may be a relay has stuck open, meaning no signal is sent to the dash light when the P-brake is off.

All this for a dash indicator. But who likes loose wires?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts