Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed her up today and we will get some practice in before the summer. I have three vehicles, which should I let her drive aroun in? Theres the half ton Chevy van, a Geo Corolla and the Taurus. The Van is big but easy to drive, sorta clunky, the Geo/ Corolla is small with little pep but easy to steer and handle. The Taurus in my opinion is the hardest to drive, because of the way the front end drops its difficult to judge where its at, also It has a large turning radius to make parking harder than other cars. On the other hand it is the classyist just in case here buds see her practising. Which would you pick or should I just go out and buy her a civivclike all the othe DAds around here? <_<

X

·
0 Posts
I'd start her off on the corolla to get the feel of driving. Let her move up to the taurus after a while if she feels more confortable since it is a bigger car. The only thing about vans which scare me is that when you are higher up, you dont feel like you are going very fast if you are used to driving cars- one thing to keep in mind letting a learner drive it.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Statistically, Large, full size vans are by far the safest vehical according to the IIHS for the Deaths / million vehical ratio.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Originally posted by DeltarMN@Feb 24 2004, 01:25 AM
I would say the Geo/ Corolla. (did you mean Geo Prizm? or Toyota Corolla? cuz i don't think there is a geo corolla either way thats the one to use)
The Geo Prizm and Toyota Corolla are the same vehicle. Just one has a Toyota emblem and one has a Geo emblem. It's the same car.

I would say go with the Geo.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I learned to drive in my dad's 92 GMC Safari van. It doesnt handle extremely well, is hard to back up, is pretty slow, and doesnt brake exceptionally. I can honestly say I am a much better driver because I learned on such a large vehicle. Once you master a large vehicle a small car is a breeze. I say start her out with the taurus and let her take the test in the corolla. It'll be easier to do the parking maneuvers in the smaller car, but she'll be alot safer in a taurus driving around everyday, and thats what is most important.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Feb 24 2004, 03:30 AM
I learned to drive in my dad's 92 GMC Safari van. It doesnt handle extremely well, is hard to back up, is pretty slow, and doesnt brake exceptionally. I can honestly say I am a much better driver because I learned on such a large vehicle. Once you master a large vehicle a small car is a breeze. I say start her out with the taurus and let her take the test in the corolla. It'll be easier to do the parking maneuvers in the smaller car, but she'll be alot safer in a taurus driving around everyday, and thats what is most important.
Prtty good advice.

Also, not sure if your state has a specific requirement for the amount of after dark hours driven before they can get they're licence, but OH does. 50 hours total with at least 10 after dark...I ended up at about 52 with 30+ after dark...I think it made me a better driver and more comfortable driving because I got used to the extra attention you must pay at night and so day time driving was even easier. That and night driving on a permit can be nicer because they're are fewer cars on the road in the later evening.

One last thing...I learned to drive on three different vehicles no including the drivers ed old school cavilier.
An old Nissan 4x4 King Cab pickup, a Dodge K car, and my Taurus later on. The Nissan was a Manual, the cars both autos. Spending time in all of them helped me a lot to adjust to driving in multiple vehicle sizes and types. I even spent some hours behind the wheel of our Windstar before I got my licence. Give her time around the neighborhood in all three vehicles, then when she is comfortable in each you don't need to always use the same car for her permit driving time. I would suggest using the car she is going to take her test in for practicing manueverability....doing that in the taurus for the first time during my drivers test wasn't fun since I had been practicing in a little dinky Cavalier.

Eric

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You mentioned not being able to judge depth because of the front end. I have caught myself not pulling into spaces far enough because of this.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm with the general consenus that you should put her in the Geo. Keep her out of the Taurus until she's gotten good. After all, you wouldn't want her to wreck the Taurus, now would you.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I say, pick the smallest car and stick with until after the test. You'll have plenty of time to make her into a seasoned driver after she has her license, but if you switch up vehicles before the test you might confuse her a little. I think she should just get really familiar with one car and stick with that one car during the test. She'll have time to remember all the car's little quirks, oddities, and abilities and it will make her look like an experienced driver in front of the test proctor. BUT, if she has to get familiar with 3 vehicles it will probably take longer, and she may not do as well simply shes trying to remember which car does what. And it may also mess up her visual judgement from switching back and forth from a high van to low geo to a round taurus. And who cares if her friends see her driving a geo, I'm sure her friends will think it's cool that she's even driving, regardless of what type of car it is. She can go "cruizin in da pimp ride" after she gets a license.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by mwt@Feb 24 2004, 07:35 AM
You mentioned not being able to judge depth because of the front end. I have caught myself not pulling into spaces far enough because of this.
I do that all the time, too

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Feb 24 2004, 03:30 AM
Once you master a large vehicle a small car is a breeze. I say start her out with the taurus and let her take the test in the corolla. It'll be easier to do the parking maneuvers in the smaller car, but she'll be alot safer in a taurus driving around everyday, and thats what is most important.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Which vehicle is she going to be driving the most after she gets license, learn to drive "your vehicle" why would you buy her a Civic, whe SHO's are plentiful and inexpensive

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by SHOMAN@Feb 24 2004, 10:13 AM
Which vehicle is she going to be driving the most after she gets license, learn to drive "your vehicle" why would you buy her a Civic, whe SHO's are plentiful and inexpensive
Funny you say that. My oldest daughter is 12 (going on 23), and has already stated she likes the Gen 2 Opal, or the Gen 3 Rosemist SHO's. Oy, bills already!

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Driver's ED is such a crock. I took driver's ed, and look at all the stuff ive been though. lol.. But really it's a learning experience...

Anywho, I learned to drive on a Focus... *shivers* that thing kept falling apart... a hubcap flying over there, door panels falling off over there...!!!

But i'd let her drive on the first car, not the taurus... smaller cars are easier to handle

·
Registered
411 Posts
Most people will say to give the the Geo/Corolla, but I may change the mix.

Why don't you give her equal time on all 3? Start on the Geo, let her take the test on the Geo, but give her equal time in all 3, why? That way she has the experience in all the cars, and can drive whatever she is given.

Or, you could go out and git her a mid 70's Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight, 455 4bbl. That way she can be super safe.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I learned on our old Buick Century mostly. Funny thing was that the cars at Driver's ED. were also Buick Centuries.
I felt quite at home.

The Taurus was bought a year ago after the Buick reared its GM head and broke the trans-axle and front right CV joint. I don't really remember driving the Explorer very much, but I remember that I hated it until I realized how much fun the vehicle is. Heh, now, I like driving the Explorer more than the Taurus.

But even so, I think the Taurus is a great car to learn on. The steering is very tight, and the engines are very responsive. It makes it an easy car to drive, and unless your tires are horrible, the car tracks very well on the road, so your daughter won't have to worry about drifting in the lane like that van would do.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais+Feb 24 2004, 12:12 PM-->QUOTE (Bob Gervais @ Feb 24 2004, 12:12 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-SHOMAN
@Feb 24 2004, 10:13 AM
Which vehicle is she going to be driving the most after she gets license, learn to drive "your vehicle"  why would you buy her a Civic, whe SHO's are plentiful and inexpensive
Funny you say that. My oldest daughter is 12 (going on 23), and has already stated she likes the Gen 2 Opal, or the Gen 3 Rosemist SHO's. Oy, bills already! [/b]
.....Daddy?!?!?!?!

!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
If you want to let her practice before driver's ed classes this summer, go with the Corolla. Odds are she'll be driving one of those cars in the class (seems to be the driving school car of choice...at least here in NY).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ok, here is what you do.

Get the biggest boat you can find that is a 5 speed, wrap most of it with old tires and styrofoam. Then, fill yourself in with those peanuts - that way you won't have to see what you will hit

1 - 20 of 40 Posts