Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I installed some fog lights and ever since the switch has just been dangling under dashboard in the driver's foot well... Until now I couldn't really think of any way that I could mount it to something as I'm really worried about drilling holes in the dash... I found a really nice switch on ebay though and it makes me think I could install it in the dashboard... The switch is a round rocker with a lil green LED in the button... They say you only have to drill a 3/4 inch hole and that got me to think that I'd like to mount it right next to the headlight switch behind the steering wheel... This is where I'd ideally like to mount it... The circles are optional places I'd like to mount it...

Now in a perfect world, I'd just like to drill the hole in the dash where I want it and then mount the switch... Today I took off the trim piece under the steering wheel and found this

There is what looks to be a hard black plastic piece right behind the trim piece and some other metal mounts behind that... My question to everyone here (who has lots of experience with their cars) is: Is it feasible to drill a hole through these pieces of plastic? Obviously I don't want to make a big mess out of my dash and drill everywhere in hopes I can find a good spot...

A second option is to mount the switch on the opposite side of the steering wheel in the same location... I looked behind that piece and there is alot less braces/etc behind it on that side... I'd rather put it on the other side though right next to the head light switch...

Any advice/thoughts are greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I ran into the same problem when I mounted the switch for my fog / driving lights. I really didnt want to punch holes in the dash in case I ever removed the switch and lights so I made a stainless stell cover plate for the opening right above my ashtray. I ran the wires up through the dash and into the opening from behind. The plate is a press fit and can be poped out with a small screw driver and there will be no damage to the dash. I hope this helps and maybe gives you an idea.

[attachmentid=27916]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I mounted my switches on the radio side of the steering wheel. Top switch is for fogs. The bottom switch runs to the remote connection on my amp to turn it and my subs on. Plus they glow green, so it fits.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mounted my switches on the radio side of the steering wheel. Top switch is for fogs. The bottom switch runs to the remote connection on my amp to turn it and my subs on. Plus they glow green, so it fits.

[/b]
I'll assume you took out your radio to mount those... The switch I want is pretty simple, all it would take is a round hole... My concern is all the brackets behind... I dont wanna drill through the trim to find that there is some big ole thick piece of metal right behind it...

Too bad I don't have a G4!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Yes I had to take the radio out, the kickplate under the column, and then that right hand trim piece off to install those switches. All wires are ran behind and tucked away neatly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Did the GEN3 ever come with fog lights? And if they did, did they have a factory fog light switch? Just a thought, because for my fog light install i went and got a dash piece from a SHO that has a factory fog light switch. This way it has the visual appeal of being something that came from the manufacturer, but i have a GEN2, so this was a possibility for me.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the GEN3 ever come with fog lights? And if they did, did they have a factory fog light switch? Just a thought, because for my fog light install i went and got a dash piece from a SHO that has a factory fog light switch. This way it has the visual appeal of being something that came from the manufacturer, but i have a GEN2, so this was a possibility for me.
[/b]
No G3 Taurus had foglights... I just wanna drill a friggin hole and see what happens!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Just pop out your headlight switch and hook the foglight relay to the red /w yellow stripe wire. Headlights on, fogs on.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just pop out your headlight switch and hook the foglight relay to the red /w yellow stripe wire. Headlights on, fogs on.
[/b]
My bulbs would burn out in no time.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Last year I installed some fog lights and ever since the switch has just been dangling under dashboard in the driver's foot well... Until now I couldn't really think of any way that I could mount it to something as I'm really worried about drilling holes in the dash... I found a really nice switch on ebay though and it makes me think I could install it in the dashboard... The switch is a round rocker with a lil green LED in the button... They say you only have to drill a 3/4 inch hole and that got me to think that I'd like to mount it right next to the headlight switch behind the steering wheel... This is where I'd ideally like to mount it... The circles are optional places I'd like to mount it...

Now in a perfect world, I'd just like to drill the hole in the dash where I want it and then mount the switch... Today I took off the trim piece under the steering wheel and found this

There is what looks to be a hard black plastic piece right behind the trim piece and some other metal mounts behind that... My question to everyone here (who has lots of experience with their cars) is: Is it feasible to drill a hole through these pieces of plastic? Obviously I don't want to make a big mess out of my dash and drill everywhere in hopes I can find a good spot...

A second option is to mount the switch on the opposite side of the steering wheel in the same location... I looked behind that piece and there is alot less braces/etc behind it on that side... I'd rather put it on the other side though right next to the head light switch...

Any advice/thoughts are greatly appreciated!
[/b]
Silvapain did a nice Gen II factory fog light retro mount in his Gen III. There is a picture of it somewhere on here. Looks nice. I am still going to do the 97 F150 / Gen IV Fog Light conversion, which will allow me to use the factory light switch location to operate the fogs.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Thanks, Tom.

The picture is in my Garage for my old ES SHO. Here's the pic:

[attachmentid=27930]

I'll probably end up doing this again for my current SHO at some point, unless I do the G4/F150 switch mod like Tom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Tom.

The picture is in my Garage for my old ES SHO. Here's the pic:

[attachmentid=27930]

I'll probably end up doing this again for my current SHO at some point, unless I do the G4/F150 switch mod like Tom.
[/b]
That's exactly where I want to put the switch! Did you have any problems drilling through that part? Did you have to remove that part of the dash to do it?

I honestly just want to drill a hole from the outside in [to the dash] and then slip in the button...

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Remove the fiberglass shin panel below the steering column and the trim piece around the instrument cluster, and the headlight switch (to access the wiring for splicing).

I didn't drill - the back part of the switch is the same size and shape as the front, so I used a box knife and carefully cut through the padding and the plastic backing; but yes, I did all the cutting from the front side.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remove the fiberglass shin panel below the steering column and the trim piece around the instrument cluster, and the headlight switch (to access the wiring for splicing).

I didn't drill - the back part of the switch is the same size and shape as the front, so I used a box knife and carefully cut through the padding and the plastic backing; but yes, I did all the cutting from the front side.
[/b]
Not quite sure how to remove the trim around the cluster nor the headlight switch...

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Well, if you have a console-shift car, the trim around the instrument cluster just comes off with the two 8mm bolts on the underside of the top, and pull the trim off. I don't remember how it comes off with a column-shift, as it's been 4 or 5 years since I owned one.

For the headlight switch, turn the switch to ON, pull the knob out until it clicks, use a small screwdriver to pop the knob off, rotate the knob 180°, put the knob back on, then turn clockwise. The switch will pop right out.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, if you have a console-shift car, the trim around the instrument cluster just comes off with the two 8mm bolts on the underside of the top, and pull the trim off. I don't remember how it comes off with a column-shift, as it's been 4 or 5 years since I owned one.

For the headlight switch, turn the switch to ON, pull the knob out until it clicks, use a small screwdriver to pop the knob off, rotate the knob 180°, put the knob back on, then turn clockwise. The switch will pop right out.
[/b]
I have a console shift and the trim isn't coming off that easy... I removed the bolts and it's still really stuck in there... I'm afraid if I pull any harder the thin piece over the steering column is going to crack... It seems like it's connected to the vents? And that damn knob is not coming off! lol

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I mount the switches in the hard fiberglass piece under the dash. Easy to work with and reachable. Also out of sight or replaceable.

You can get a headlight switch that has a functional fog light part to it too.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Round 2 has yielded no results... That head light knob does not want to just "pop off".. I noticed that there is a little notch under the opposite end of the light selector that is visible when you pull the switch out... I tried prying that with a screwdriver forever and nothing happened... Then I just tried yanking the switch off with all my might and nothing happened...

I tried the same with the trim piece on the cluster... I made sure all the edges were clearing the dashboard, pushed the vents back and grabbed the lip of plastic on either side that is on the bottom of the vent housings and pulled with all my might... Still, nothing...

Also, isn't it hella hard to mount all your switches to that shin guard? That piece seems 10x harder than dash... Like you could wear it as bullet proof armour...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts