Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i'm new to the forum

I was hoping someone could help me out.

the dash lights, more specifically the fuel gauge area as well as the left part of the speedometer, have basically become dark. The lights have been burnt. Can anyone one give me a description of the bulbs, as well as a method to change them.

the car is a 1997 taurus wagon.

on another note, the rear passenger seat belt has completely released and will not return, anyone had similar problems!?

Thanks for your advice/ input

sincerely

Karl

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The general dash lights bulbs are 194s and there are five of them. With the column shift the dash is a PITA to get out.

The seat belt will have to be replaced.

Column Shift

Removal

Disconnect battery ground cable. Refer to Section 14-01 .

Remove ignition switch lock cylinder from steering column. Refer to Section 11-04 .

Remove upper and lower steering column shrouds. Refer to Section 11-04 .

Remove two retaining screws from instrument panel steering column cover (04459) and remove instrument panel steering column cover from instrument panel.

Remove integrated control panel from instrument panel. Refer to Section 15-01 .

Remove four retaining screws and instrument panel finish panel from instrument panel.

Tilt steering wheel to lowest position to make clearance to remove instrument panel finish panel.

Remove four retaining screws and instrument panel finish panel from instrument panel.

Detach transmission range indicator cable loop from transmission column shift selector tube (7212).

Remove adjustment nut from transmission range indicator cable and remove transmission range indicator cable from bracket.

Remove four retaining screws from instrument cluster.

Pull top of instrument cluster toward steering wheel.

Reach behind instrument cluster and disconnect two electrical connectors from instrument cluster.

Remove instrument cluster from instrument panel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks to everyone who has replyed

i think ill leave this job for the summer when i have time and its warm outside

sincerely
karl

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi there!

The O/D light indicator in my instrument panel no longer works. Took the tranny for service and fortunately it's ok, so there's no error. This means the lamp is out.

Do I have to go through the instrument panel dis-assembly as per this thread or is it any way around it, say, like doing this from behind the instrument panel and doing all sorts of contorsions? My Sable has a column-mounted shifter, so I'm very reluctant to try to dis-assemble the dash as I'm afraid I won't be able to put it back!

My Chilton manual says the lamp to be replaced is type 37, is this correct?

·
Registered
143 Posts
mexjames - No there's no way around it you've gotta take it apart. It's a sealed plastic part that contains the gauges and it's pure circuit stuff at the back, and you've gotta pop the plastic piece of the actual gauge off as the bulbs are stored in a recessed well.
The stock blubs are #37s that's correct. If you have aftermarket gauges (like me) then you can use:

- Signals, Engine Service Light, Oil Light, Amp, OEM #37 (1 watt), changed to a #70 (2 watt)
- Low Coolant, Seat Belt, Low Fuel, Door Ajar, High Beam, Air Bag, Brake, Cruise, Anti Lock, Over Drive OEM #37 (1 watt), changed to a #74 (1.5 watt)

That should brighten things up, that's what I'm doing this afternoon as I can't see my lights during the day, that was posted on V8SHO.com. Follow Ash's directions that the link was posted to above and you'll have no problems, I can have the gagues out and on the kitchen table in under 10 minutes (I've done it twice this week, I'm becoming a pro! I'll be doing it again in a few hrs to replace these lamps myself.) If you've got any questions PM me, I'll be around until tomorrow afternoon before I leave for my roadtrip. Best of luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you so much! My dash is stock so I'll use the #37 lamp, I'll see if I can find it at my local Ford dealer (I live in Mexico City so parts are not always available). I'll try to tackle this issue during the week end. Wish me luck, I hope I don't mess it up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mexjames, if you don't have any luck let me know, I just removed all my #37s to install brighter ones this afternoon and would gladly mail you an envelope with a bunch of 37s in it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hey I've got a question... I looked in this post and I'm a bit confused... what I want to know is What size bulbs does the Instrument Cluster in my '98 use, and how many? I want to replace them all... seeing how it's such a pain in the ass to remove the cluster with a column shift, I figured I might as well jsut replace them all with new bulbs...

·
Registered
870 Posts
thanks... but now I've got another problem... how the hell do you detach the transmission range indicator cable loop from transmission column shift selector tube I'm having a hell of a hard time trying

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hey can someone help me... it's starting to get dark, and I'm trying to replace the bulbs in the instrument cluster before nightfall, and I can't get the Transmission Gueage indicater out please help!!!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I was trying to figure out what the hell he was talking about, since I've never had to touch anything relating to the transmission indicator while I was installing bulbs...then I realized that I don't have a transmission indicator in the dash (floor shift FTW!).

JR

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thanks!, I finally got it, and just finished putting it back together again... why Ford made it so difficult is beyond me... what a PITA it is just to change a damn bulb...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The general dash lights bulbs are 194s and there are five of them. With the column shift the dash is a PITA to get out.

The seat belt will have to be replaced.

Column Shift

Removal

Disconnect battery ground cable. Refer to Section 14-01 .

Remove ignition switch lock cylinder from steering column. Refer to Section 11-04 .

Remove upper and lower steering column shrouds. Refer to Section 11-04 .

Remove two retaining screws from instrument panel steering column cover (04459) and remove instrument panel steering column cover from instrument panel.

Remove integrated control panel from instrument panel. Refer to Section 15-01 .

Tilt steering wheel to lowest position to make clearance to remove instrument panel finish panel.

Detach transmission range indicator cable loop from transmission column shift selector tube (7212).

Remove adjustment nut from transmission range indicator cable and remove transmission range indicator cable from bracket.

Remove four retaining screws from instrument cluster.

Pull top of instrument cluster toward steering wheel.

Reach behind instrument cluster and disconnect two electrical connectors from instrument cluster.

Remove instrument cluster from instrument panel.

thank you for info do you know any video or user manuel to do all of those things? coz im gonna do it myself

1 - 18 of 18 Posts