Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally lost my center bulb on the dash, now i can't see my speedo. Years ago i lost my tach bulb which wasn't a big deal but now the only thing i can see is my fuel level at night which makes it slightly dangerous to drive at night.

So i am looking at how to replace my dash bulbs. What tools do i need and which bulbs to replace it with? Should i just go ahead and replace them all while im in there?

Could it be anything else but a bad bulb? Previously my tach bulb went out like i said and was out for a few years then it mysteriously came back on for a few days before going out again.... I guess a bulb could do that right?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still not finding a definitive answer, can't someone just give me a straight answer, i have already looked at the topic finder i am not new

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:lol2:
couldn't have looked to hard, i find it for gen 3 and gen 4. btw followed it and did mine.

Hey to be fair there are a lot of topics in there and i don't know which term i am searching for. Bulb, dash, light?

What is it under btw? I still didn't see the link for gen 3, just gen 4

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Hey to be fair there are a lot of topics in there and i don't know which term i am searching for. Bulb, dash, light?

What is it under btw? I still didn't see the link for gen 3, just gen 4
Remove radio with din keys, remove black paneling around steering wheel, remove light switch assembly and panel, unbolt upper panel around vents and cluster, pull that off and disconnect the transmission gear indicator, remove the screws surrounding the cluster and unplug the wires, turn the little white knobs or whatever on the back of the cluster and install new lights into them. Check rockauto for the bulb codes, or bring one to your local auto parts store and ask for enough to replace all. They're pretty cheap.

1996 - 1999 Gauge Cluster Removal (Column Shift Only) - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki

There's how you pull the cluster, I don't know if that helps much.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone have a clue to how many bulbs i should get since i will probably order online?

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
My (often faulty) memory tells me 6 illumination bulbs. I wouldnt bother ordering online.... just go to any parts store and grab a bunch.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
WonderBreadGuy, did you see the completed dash lighting pics in the topic finder under: Gauge Cluster Swap Info, then: 1996-1999 LED Lighting. Cool blue!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
well i got the 194 large LED blue bulbs for free...
so now everything is blue and turquoise... and i'm going to change the license plate bulbs next

1 - 20 of 21 Posts