Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed their original column shift setup for a floor mount on a Gen3 (I've got a '96 LX)? What's involved in the interior? I'm not concerned about the transmission changes or selector mods - just adding an OEM console. :headscratch:

Does the console just butt up against the dash making the transition as easy as: finding a transplant console, pulling out the folding middle seat, and installing the new console? Or do the ones fitted with a floor selector, come with a slightly different dash requiring the conversion to include a new dash as well?

I'd be interested to hear anyone's experience as far as the interior is concerned. Thanks, in advance...

·
Registered
478 Posts
you'll have to take out your front bench(?) seat and install buckets. It should just fit snug against the dash without having to do any mods to the dash at all. There was a post on here about someone doing in to their Gen 2....might wanna search around and find it.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
The gen3 dash is completely different for console and non-console cars The instrument cluster surround is a different shape, and I believe the console somehow blends into the dash piece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for all of your replies. The seats are definitely "seperate" with the middle "jump seat/reversible console" piece seperate. Sfhess, I think you're definitley right. I guess I'll need to fab something. Thanks again everyone :D

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
If you want to do this, just go buy a whole new dash from a junkyard. Buy the center console and the appropriate shift linkage as well. You'll definitely need to change the entire dash, as someone said, the dash is different for column shift and floor shift cars. I would say that you'd be better off just buying a different car.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Some gen3 and 4 cars had a different console that was made for the column-shift setup. It had a big storage compartment/arm rest and a couple of cup holders. My 2000 LX with "LX-plus" package had this & I have seen it in some gen 3 cars. It does not blend in with the dash and looks and works well if you don't require a floor shifter but want a console.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
All Gen III cars with a column shifter had a different setup. The floor shfiter came with it's own console, always. The column shifter came with it's own flip down console. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but there's no "some" about it.

JR

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Originally posted by sfhess@Sep 2 2004, 01:32 PM
Some gen3 and 4 cars had a different console that was made for the column-shift setup. It had a big storage compartment/arm rest and a couple of cup holders. My 2000 LX with "LX-plus" package had this & I have seen it in some gen 3 cars. It does not blend in with the dash and looks and works well if you don't require a floor shifter but want a console.
That is exactly what I want. I have been searching everywhere for that type of console. I heard that they existed, but wasn't too entirely sure. I like my column shift, but would rather have a real console than the flip out deal. I will definitely start looking harder now that I know they exist! :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Yeah. Look for '00 LXs. Mine came as part of what was called the "LX-plus" package with alloy wheels, cassette, cruise and remote keyless entry. I have seen them in gen 3 (probly '99) Sables as well. Also the flipover deal in a gen 4 (at least in my 04) is better than the one in a gen 3 in my opinion. The cup holder part lies flat and the whole deal looks and works better.
One more feature to mention about this console: There is a third cup holde molded in at the back for rear-seat passengers.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
The console we're talking about does not connect up to the dash. Like this one in a 99 Sable GS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Here it is from the passenger side. There is also a small storage tray and some coin holders at the front edge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Thanks for finding the pics man, I like that a hell of a lot better.

That will fit nicely and not interfere with the cb underneath the ashtray in my car. I was just going to do the floor shift console swap, but this would work a lot easier and look a lot better.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Yeah. Thank goodness for eBay. My '00 LX had the same setup, as I said before.

One more pic. Here is the back-seat view:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Originally posted by mike@Sep 2 2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks for finding the pics man, I like that a hell of a lot better.

That will fit nicely and not interfere with the cb underneath the ashtray in my car. I was just going to do the floor shift console swap, but this would work a lot easier and look a lot better.
This dash at least looks a little better than the one that came with console-equipped cars, especially the shape of the instrument cluster opening IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
BTW, godspunk32, how's THAT for "some"??????

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I apologize if that sounded mean. I don't want to offend or put anybody down. Sometimes we need to open our minds just a little.....

I'm just glad I was able to find the pictures to show everyone what I was talking about.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts