Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I apologize for double posting this, under Maintenance and Repair and General Discussion, couldn't figure out where to post under Maintenance and Repair first time around).

I noticed the other day that my dash cluster backlight was out, and later that day, someone followed me to my house to let me know that my taillights were out, but I still had brake lights and turn signals. I replaced the fuse with the appropriate fuse (15 Amp) and they worked, all of them, but the fuse blew again.

I have a set of driving lights mounted behind the grill, but I've had them for about a year now and they've caused no problems, so I don't know what is suddenly causing this. My concern is that I cannot drive at night as I do not have tail lights.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what it could be, or how I could fix it?

I'm planning on rewiring the driving lights so the wiring is cleaner, and I'm going to re-ground them to the engine ground from the negative battery terminal, could that fix the problem? If anyone has any knowledge that could help fix this I would greatly appreciate it, plus it would allow me to drive at night.

Thank You.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (Jman91CT @ Jun 4 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809424
(I apologize for double posting this, under Maintenance and Repair and General Discussion, couldn't figure out where to post under Maintenance and Repair first time around).

I noticed the other day that my dash cluster backlight was out, and later that day, someone followed me to my house to let me know that my taillights were out, but I still had brake lights and turn signals. I replaced the fuse with the appropriate fuse (15 Amp) and they worked, all of them, but the fuse blew again.

I have a set of driving lights mounted behind the grill, but I've had them for about a year now and they've caused no problems, so I don't know what is suddenly causing this. My concern is that I cannot drive at night as I do not have tail lights.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what it could be, or how I could fix it?

I'm planning on rewiring the driving lights so the wiring is cleaner, and I'm going to re-ground them to the engine ground from the negative battery terminal, could that fix the problem? If anyone has any knowledge that could help fix this I would greatly appreciate it, plus it would allow me to drive at night.

Thank You.[/b]

Sounds like you are checking the right things. When you check your wiring you may want to turn on the running lights and move the wires around. If a bare spot has rubbed through the insulation the fuse may blow when you wiggle the wires. More lights mean more current drain, but like you said 1 year without a problem....? Water inside the lens usually causes the bulb to blow before the fuse...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (kgrantkey @ Jun 4 2010, 09:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809431
QUOTE (Jman91CT @ Jun 4 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809424

Thank You.[/b]

Sounds like you are checking the right things. When you check your wiring you may want to turn on the running lights and move the wires around. If a bare spot has rubbed through the insulation the fuse may blow when you wiggle the wires. More lights mean more current drain, but like you said 1 year without a problem....? Water inside the lens usually causes the bulb to blow before the fuse...
[/b][/quote]

That was my thought exactly, there would be other things occurring if there was an issue with the lights themselves. When I re-wire the lights I'll inspect for damage and try to find out where the wires were rubbing (if at all). If it comes down to the wires not being the problem, and the new ground does not fix it, do you know what else it could/should/would might be? and thank you for replying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts