Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my Taurus, there are many like it but this one is mine.

Im going to try and keep the first post in this thread as the one with the most up-to-date pictures and build info.

I've had this car since May of 2012.
When I got it, it had 35k miles on it, and had previously been owned by my grandmother who bought it used with 14k miles. It started life out as a program car(in the first 7 months of its life, it got all 14k of those miles).

This car got me through 3 of my 5 years of school in the hellish winters of Canton, NY and has since been my daily to work everyday here in Southern NC. Its got absolutely no body rot and only some light surface rust underneath that I try to keep at bay.

Some general details:
Build Date: 10/06/2005
Plant: Atlanta, Georgia
Engine: 3.0 V6 12V OHV EFI "U"
Transmission: AX4N
Axle Ratio: 3.96
A/C: Manual
Paint: Merlot
Interior: Medium Graphite (not anymore lol)

This car is an evolving project mostly as it is cheaper to keep it and modify it than to buy another car and make payments!
Please keep in mind as you look through this thread that this car was a Fleet build SE, which means any and all of the electrical mods that may be standard on other cars, this one isn't prewired for.

MODS!

Now onto the pictures!

Thanks for looking!

T

·
0 Posts
first of my condolences about ur grandparents. Second, Nice bull. Your ride looks great!! Take good care of her and you'll have many years of enjoyment. Keep up with oil changes and Routine maintenance. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Beautiful bull as well as excellent taste in mods :thumb: Kinda inspiring and makes me want to get back at it and complete like 10 more mods this month.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey TCCA! sorry for the distance between posts. My life has now moved to Norther New York from Long Island NY. The bull just turned 52K, oil change done with Purolator Pure One and Motorcraft 5w-20. Cleaned her out and installed the requisite new Black Ice air freshener. Today I pulled the Throttle Body and IAC valve off and cleaned them both. She idles a lot better now, and my new Phillips X-tremeVision headlamps dont dim at idle anymore!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, the New York winter is rapidly approaching!
And as the cold is setting in, things aren't working exactly as they should.
I went out and cranked up my Bull this morning to go to class and listened to the most ear-splitting squeal all the way there and back. (I knew it was belt realted).
This afternoon I pulled the belt off and found that the idler pulley was loose. Spun the bolt out, to find that the bolt was stretched. There is a spacer on the bolt that holds the inner bearing race, and because the bolt was stretched in that area, it was loose. Quick trip to Lowes to get a Temporary replacement and I was on my way.
I tried to clean all the pulleys before I put the belt back on and found that the water pump pulley was loose too and that it had a crack in the face on one of the ribs.
Guess ill be ordering one of those soon as well as a new bolt.
The idler bolt is a M10x40 -1.50 BTW.
Ill try to post pictures soon.
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Thanks guys!

I just gave her a quick wash this afternoon after class.

Thanks for looking!
I don't want to alarm you, and don't look now, but there's a Cavalier in your driveway.....lol

Nice, clean car!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a few shots from this past snowfall. Also, added some Hella ff50 driving lights up front under the bumper. Makes a huge difference on the 2 lane country roads!
Big thanks to Tom S for the write-up and the inspiration, which can be found here:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117-electronics-security-audio-visual/174775-hella-ff50-driving-lights-installed.html#post1731771

My current desktop

Love my amber tail-lights

Install from the front(pardon the abused bumper cover)

And the bracketry

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
I like the fogs. Thought about them at one point.

Are the amber tails functioning as a turn signal or running light?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Paul,
The fogs were definitely a worthwhile thing, although a bit pricey (bought from amazon as a kit ~$100).
I fabbed up some brackets at school with a TIG welder in a hour or so, and spent a few hours under the bull getting them right.

I used the stock taillight socket as my new turn, but cut the brake wire from the SJB and ran that to a new socket.
So, my brake(red) and turn(amber) light up as parking lights.
The amber is strictly a turn signal and the red is strictly a brake light. Although both light up (diminished capacity) with the parking lights.
I can take more pictures/find the threads I used as reference if you want.

Parking lights only:

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Just be cautious. I have amber turn signals, but they light up as turns only. In NY, they are going to be all over you if you have a steady amber facing the rear.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
This has me wanting to add fog lights again. I should probably wait and decide once I add the upgraded headlight harness (if I ever get around to buying one and installing it).

+1 on rear always-on ambers. I know the local coppers can get picky with underglow, strange colored lights, etc.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ideally you use only they high side or a single sided bulb for the Amber mod.

We're your results expected?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I love the way that they look, and I drive with my marker lights on all the time actually. I've had them set-up like that for about 6 months or so now and havent had a problem.
I may go and cut the low-side lead to the amber's now and use them as turn only, thanks for the heads up ya'll.

This has me wanting to add fog lights again. I should probably wait and decide once I add the upgraded headlight harness (if I ever get around to buying one and installing it).

+1 on rear always-on ambers. I know the local coppers can get picky with underglow, strange colored lights, etc.
I upgraded to Phillips Crystal-vision bulbs in the headlight housings after getting the non-DRL SJB and I couldn't be happier with them. Who sells the upgraded headlight harness? I would like to see what the improvement is over the stock harness.

Just be cautious. I have amber turn signals, but they light up as turns only. In NY, they are going to be all over you if you have a steady amber facing the rear.
I live in the middle of nowhere and the cops up here are usually busy dealing with the drunks and the kids who's parents bought them something beyond their driving ability haha! I appreciate the heads-up though!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I upgraded to Phillips Crystal-vision bulbs in the headlight housings after getting the non-DRL SJB and I couldn't be happier with them. Who sells the upgraded headlight harness? I would like to see what the improvement is over the stock harness.
I'm also running Philips Crystal Vision (Ultra) bulbs in my headlights.

The upgraded harness can be found online through various retailers, or you can make one yourself if you are handy with wiring. I usually just google "9007 upgraded" or "heavy duty headlight harness".

This one is on Amazon, and will be the one I get if I ever go through with it.

Putco 239007HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring 9007 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
I will be looking into these crystal visions after my silverstars go. They seem to sound pretty decent. I have silverstars for the fact that I got the pair for $20.

Why not convert the ambers to turn signals? So cool!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I will be looking into these crystal visions after my silverstars go. They seem to sound pretty decent. I have silverstars for the fact that I got the pair for $20.

Why not convert the ambers to turn signals? So cool!
The Philips Crystal Visions I have are as good or brighter than the Silverstar Ultras I had in my last Taurus. I got my Philips pair on Amazon for around $20 with free shipping.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts