Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading a few posts about raising the rear of the car to fix the sag, i decided that this would be a good thing to do to my car. I brought out my tools and jacked up the car and removed the tire, and set out to do what i thought would be a fairly quick fix. I started to back out the bolt that holds the wheel assembly to the strut, and after a few turns SNAP (#[email protected]^%##). This bolt is about 1/2 of an inch thick and i just broke the head off of it. So now i have to have the bolt extracted by a machine shop ( or somebody). I decide that it would be easiest for whomever if i removed the strut and wheel assembly from the car. There's only like four more bolts plus the brake caliper (i have 4-wheel discs) what else could go wrong? So i start to take these other bolts off. I get the brake caliper off, it comes off smoothly (tiny little brake pads though). My next task is to remove the ABS wheel sensor. I grab my wrench and begin to remove that bolt SNAP (@^%#(*&$#(@)%!^%(). I figure, well now that the bolt head is gone the sensor should just fall out -wrong-. I grab a screw driver and a mallet and begin to gently tap around the sensor to try and break it free. -no go- So i try and be a little less gentle with it SNAP (**I%&^$*(^) the damn thing comes apart. There's 93 dollars down the drain. Now to take out a little aggression, i just beat the hell out of whats left of the sensor and it finally lets go. Wouldn't you know it the whole sensor was rusted into place. OK, so now its time to just get the whole damn thing out of the car. I end up having to remove the back seat and rear dash to get at the three bolts that hold the top of the strut in place, which was kind of annoying, but its not the first time iv had the seat out. After i take the nuts off of the bolts holding the connector arms i have one helluva time trying to get the bolts out of the bushings. I get a jack and put it in between and arms and put some tension on the arms and turn the strut tower back and forth to slowly remove the bushings from--the metal sleeves attached to the bushings!! HOORAY now i have to buy new bushings. Turns out the metal sleeves were -YOU GUESSED IT- rusted to the bolt shafts! I at least have the strut tower removed from the car. There is a SE in a local junk yard, hopefully it has a disc brake strut tower i can use. Also hopefully it has an ABS wheel sensor attached to it as well because i cant afford to buy a new one. I need to have this fixed by thanksgiving because we have to drive 300 miles across a mountain pass to see family. Right now its dark and cold, and i cant do anything more till tomorrow. GAAAAAA I'm just so frustrated right now. If only i had left the sag alone this morning, i could be sitting here with a smile on my face, instead of being all anxious about the fate of my beloved car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That sounds like it was a TRULY ****** day ! :(
Been there and done that before though.
Wait until your on the road with your monster in law in the back seat and something breaks down 1000 miles form home and EVERY THING is closed for the holidays in the middle of winter. You get to pay for a tow bill, repair bill, hotel bill AND listen to an elderly satanic elf bitch you out for not taking better care of your car and PLANING to break down just to get back at her.
HA HA HA HA HA !!

It could always be worse brother. At least it happened at home, and although a pain to get to they can be easily purchased parts.
;)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
yeah i had the same problems with my rear pinch bolts the smooth shaft of the bolts were rusted in place and the treads came right out after i cut the bolt through the gap in the knuckle but now tey are out and i get to go through this all again when i put new struts in next time lol oh well... hope you get it all back together my goal is to have my car done by the 23rd as a birthday gift to myself

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yea, I can feel for you, have been in this situation before. My explanation to myself is that I was acting in self-defence, this is what the preventive maintenance is, you either wait until something breaks or tackle it on YOUR terms, on YOUR turf.
As to the bolts, my 94 has been treated almost since new with oil/grease/WD40 on all suspension and other fasteners, I made a habit of lubricating these whenever I was under the car. People were laughing at me but
now these bolts pay back. The guy was doing my alignment last week and said something about the rear bolts being usually unmovable, to which I said, not on this car, and sure enough, it turned no problem 14 years after assembly and 14 salty winters here.
Anyway, next time you are under the car, a blast of penetrating oil on those rusty heads and threads
won't hurt. Good luck!
Stan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts