Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my AX4N tranny rebuilt about 80,000 miles ago. A few weeks back, I did a drop of the pan, changed the filter and refilled it with approximately 7 quarts of Mercon V fluid. About 3 days after the fluid change, I started to get the dreaded P1744 code. I reset the code, but it came back a few days later.

Last Friday, I put in a 24 Oz. container of Lucas' Transmission fix fluid. Ironically, I was "code free" for a whole week. Sadly, on my drive to work this morning, the dreaded code came back. :(

I did a bit of research - and it appears that the code can indicate an issue with the torque converter and some people have been able to resolve it by replacing the solenoids on the tranny. I've also come across a posting on another forum where a member was able to resolve his code by getting his cooling system flushed - apparently, the tranny fluid was running a bit too warm and was setting the code.

I've got my car scheduled for an appointment tomorrow to have a proper "flush" done on the tranny to get all of that "junk" out of there. They'll also drop the pan and install a new gasket and filter.

Has anyone had much success at resolving the P1744 code via a good tranny flush? It just seemed weird to me that the code started to reveal itself after the filter and partial fluid change.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
A proper flush is a hopeful shot. I know one guy who got another 70k out of a AX4N after having the dreaded 1744. The solenoid fix you speak of is not indicated on intermittent issues like you mention.

An auxiliary trans cooler does huge good on these trannys and you want one anyhow.

I'd do it like this. Install a tranny cooler like this - B&M 70264 - B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
THEN take the car for a flush.
THEN throw in a bottle of Lucas and cross my fingers. I know of many folks this has worked for and many it has not. Once the torque converter starts acting up, it's time to start the new tranny fund.

Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks.

I had the filter changed and the whole tranny flushed today. According to the information on the final print-out, they applied some de-gunker to the transmission prior to the flush and then a conditioner to the new fluid after the flush was done. I'm now in the process of accumulating miles to see if the code returns.

The only thing I noted on the print-out was that 3 gallons of Dextron III were used for the fluid. I know Mercon V is the preferred fluid for these transmissions. I hope this doesn't lead to more issues for me. For now, though, it's really shifting nice. Since it was a nice, clean, full flush, I'll keep out the Lucas until later - if it's needed. That stuff is way too syrupy to work with - takes a bit of patience and time. :)

Edit: As far as coolers are concerned, I'm all for them. However, for this vehicle, my aim is just to keep it moving along for 6 more months / 6,000 more miles. Since it has nearly 150K on it, we'll look at replacing it this fall with another vehicle. In good conscience, I want to be able to sell the Taurus without any check engine lights so the new owner can enjoy the vehicle without dumping too many bucks into it to keep it going.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As an update. I made it 100 miles after I had the system flushed before the dreaded code came back. Though I don't feel any "immediate" issues with the transmission, it's probably time that I start to consider another vehicle. With 149,600 on the odometer - and a tranny that was rebuilt at 64,000 miles, I'm not going to toss another $2,300 into a rebuild. That's nearly half the cost of a newer vehicle.

For example, there's a 2003 Sable LS Premium with 62,000 miles and full options listed in my area for $5,995. That, of course, is before any negotiaton in price. To me, it makes much more sense than dealing with a tranny rebuild.

On the other hand, my '99 Taurus SE has every option available on it (Mach sound, sun roof, leather interior, ABS, 6-CD Changer, Leather, power driver's seat, etc.). Hopefully, I could get $1,000 for it "as-is". :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an update on my vehicle. Though the P1744 code did come back after my transmission flush with filter change, I did some more troubleshooting. I've read of where some people had tranny fluid in the 9-pin connector that sits on top of the tranny and below the rubber air intake. A few weeks back, I took apart that connector to see if there was any fluid that had leaked into mine - there wasn't. I then put the connector back in place and reassembled the air intake.

I then thought a bit more. I then disconnected the negative battery cable for 5 minutes to reset the ECM. I did this so my Taurus could re-learn the shift points. I reconnected the battery cable and started the task of driving my car to relearn the shift points. Ironically, the P1744 code has not appeared.

In my case, just clearing the code out with my code reader wasn't enough. However, resetting the ECM and relearning the shift points seems to have taken care of my tranny code issue. :D

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you don't have an auxiliary cooler you need to get one.

The PCM does not really relearn shift points as they are set tables. When clearing the learned behavior from the PCM by disconnecting the battery you are setting your fuel trims back to stock and this will affect the calculated load values. This does affect the shift points.

The problem could be the soleniod. It is easy to check with an ohm meter. And it can be changed with the tranny in the car. Be sure to check the solenoid when the fluid is hot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the additional information regarding the solenoid check - I appreciate it. My baby just hit 150,000 miles this past week. I'm going to be selling it soon and taking on different commuter vehicle. Still going to stay in the "Ford Family", though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts