Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had codes checked for CEL being on and got a p0401 for egr and bought parts to fix that and also got a p0340 for cam position sensor which i was hoping wasnt because i have read the threads on here about them. now what i was asking about was when buying/replacing the cam pos. parts should i just replace the sensor on top or the whole synchro assembly. and yes i do know not to get a dorman one. plus who makes the best ones?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Shocked that this post hasn't received a reply in 11 hours, a post like this usually draws replies like flies on horse manure.

You COULD replace the position sensor pretty cheap - couple dollars, unplug the wire, 2 5.5mm bolts. When you pop the old one off, check the top of the syncro, it it looks sound, you might get away with just the CPS.

If you see damage, then obviously, you need to do the syncro too. Even if it's not damaged and you want to play it safe, change out the syncro. If it hasn't been done, you may just want to do it for the peace of mind.

Motorcraft seems to be the best choice for replacement of the assembly - you can grab one for $97 at RockAuto - and look for the 5% discount in this link (http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/110-vendors-group-buys/92416-rock-auto-discount.html)

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
I had P0340 pop up on the white '99 a couple of weeks ago and this is what I found:

Replaced the cam drive and the sensor the same day I found it, cleared the code and been good since.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well what I ment was that it looks like the cam gear chipped off some metal of the cam sensor gear. How did you take care of that? I would be worried about metal shavings throughout my entire block. Never was/became an issue I assume?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.