Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm out with my friends last night, we're in his BMW 528
cruising with no destination, when we see something coming up fast in the rear view so my friend gets on it. He did pass us by but we were rapidly gaining on him, at which point we notice its a 2000 ish nissan maxima. We're rapidly approaching the curves and are getting close enough that we'll pass him by in the curve when he nearly loses it and almost goes sideways into a truck!
Needless to say he backed down really fast and we moved outta there really fast. So there we are again crusing aimlessly when we approach a pair of BMW's, a 2000 ish 325 and a 97ish M3. We all started speeding up and screwing around, we passed the 325 and M3 to taunt them. They both just speed up but don't get on it. Up comes the toll and the M3 jumps over a few lanes to an empty one and we luckily come up to an empty lane. We pay the toll at the same time as the M3 does and as we take off somewhat quickly, the M3 driver looks over at us and gets on it. Needless to say when he looked over my friend also got on the gas. At first we were pretty much even, but once the M3 got to higher revs, he owned us pretty bad.
It was pretty funny though, how he looked at us and all. So yeah, we got owned by the M3 and just take it easy once again when we hear the *roar*
of the rice burner in front of us (mitsubishi galant or somethin' like that) complete with fart can exhaust. The lanes were merging down to 3 from 4 so my friend jumps on the gas and we pass him with ease. Not unlike the ownaged dished out by the M3
The guy in the mitsu tried a few times to catch up and play but we just owned him and took off. Appropriately the fuel light was on so we got off to get gas. We drove for a bit after filling up and yet again we get the fly by.... it was a new VW Jetta VR6. Once again we get on it and match speeds with the jetta, pulling up next to him. We gave him "the look" and we're off. At first the jetta was side by side with us and we were unsure of the outcome (especially being that we had 3 passengers and him 1 1/2 (he had his girl with him
). As the bimmer climbed triple digits we walked on past him
. We did that a few more times and we beat him again and again. We both slowed down and he gave us the thumbs up then he exited the highway. Now we're quite a ways from home and we turn around and head back. Sure enough we get another flyby and its the 04 maxima 3.5 loaded, 2 sunroofs, the works. We catch up to the guy and get on it. We were pretty much even and then we begin approaching another major curve (at about 110 mph) and that maxima driver almost loses it, I hear the tires on the bimmer approaching their traction limits so I know we're taking the turn pretty hard. We did manage to beat him thru the curve and got ahead of him a bit (1-2 car lengths) but he did begin to walk up on us as the road straightened out. We had to slow down because we were coming up to traffic so he just flew by us. About a 1/2 mile down we catch up to him and he gives us the
and his girlfriend, as you can tell was scared out of her mind, manages to give us a smirk. I just gotta say that I love that bimmer, I can't wait to own one!!! That car just handles and takes off like a mofo
Well this is a pretty long post, what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
97-03 5 series are damn nice. Is his 528 5 speed or auto? I came pretty close to buying a used 99 540i 6 speed, but I eventually bought my taurus because rwd + lots of tq in the snow isnt very much fun.

I have raced a 525i 5 speed in my Taurus and was dead even until about 70mph where I started inching on him.

And I've raced my gf's 03 Maxima SE (auto) a bunch of times, and from a stop she absolutely kills me, but from a highway roll she cant pull much, if any.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by jtkz13@Feb 16 2004, 04:32 PM
97-03 5 series are damn nice. Is his 528 5 speed or auto? I came pretty close to buying a used 99 540i 6 speed, but I eventually bought my taurus because rwd + lots of tq in the snow isnt very much fun.

I have raced a 525i 5 speed in my Taurus and was dead even until about 70mph where I started inching on him.

And I've raced my gf's 03 Maxima SE (auto) a bunch of times, and from a stop she absolutely kills me, but from a highway roll she cant pull much, if any.
It's an auto but it's surprisingly fast. Only mod is a K&N filter. It's still fairly new with about 66k miles.
And damn that thing can hug the road!

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah the "5" are good but its a 2.8L sorry but still good. yeah i work at nissan and the 04 max with walk away form the 528 even 530's that VQ35DE is a beast. 265hp yeah walking away now. but still nice. did u get a look to see if the 04 max was a SE or SL. yeah and your g/f 03 has the same VQ35DE but only 2555hp but still will walk away. where were u going that it has curves that u get loose, that cant be a highway what was it?!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by BMWevo600@Feb 16 2004, 09:19 PM
yeah the "5" are good but its a 2.8L sorry but still good. yeah i work at nissan and the 04 max with walk away form the 528 even 530's that VQ35DE is a beast. 265hp yeah walking away now. but still nice. did u get a look to see if the 04 max was a SE or SL. yeah and your g/f 03 has the same VQ35DE but only 2555hp but still will walk away. where were u going that it has curves that u get loose, that cant be a highway what was it?!!
We were on a highway, it does have some pretty good curves to it. There are some points where they are smooth curves and other points where it does turn pretty sharply. I know the 04 maxima has like 70 horses over the BMW and I didn't say that it couldn't walk away, it did once we got out of the curve. Yes I know that the BMW has "just" a 2.8L I-6, but it is still an awesome engine. The suspension is way better on the BMW too IMO, and I don't think many can argue that it isn't. I can only imagine how amazing the 540 & M5 must be. One day when I can get mine, i'll know. OH yea, I'm not sure what model the maxima was, but it was loaded to the brim. All I remember reading was the 3.5 badge on the trunk. I definitely prefer the look of the 00 maximas over the 04's.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
BMW6000 I would reply to your comment, but until it can be read without my intelligence level deteriorating I wont respond.

I think everyone on here knows you work at a Nissan dealership, I dont know why you keep mentioning it. It doesnt mean you are an authority on anything, sorry.

·
Registered
147 Posts
  I came pretty close to buying a used 99 540i 6 speed, but I eventually bought my taurus because rwd + lots of tq in the snow isnt very much fun.
RWD + lots of torque + a "posi" rear + snow and you've got plenty of fun. (My '72 Cougar XR-7 R.I.P. )

*crawls back under bridge*

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Oh, I agree that would be fun. Not for a daily driver when your drive to work is 45 minutes on Michigan roads from December - March though.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Feb 17 2004, 03:18 AM
Oh, I agree that would be fun. Not for a daily driver when your drive to work is 45 minutes on Michigan roads from December - March though.
ugh...i'm so sick of our roads. they fix them and than during the winter they are back to normal again, full of potholes and cracks.. i wish our roads were all smooth. they just black topped by my house this past summer..on 12 mile road between harper and jefferson. PERFECT place to race. its sooooo smooth. but i'm sure in a few months it'll be wrecked all ready.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Both my old 97 Jag XJ6 and my current Jag XJR are better in the snow than my SHO. They have so much more traction than the SHO in the snow. And this is with Michelin Arctic Alpins on all vehicles. Even with the traction control off in the Jags, the Jags have more traction.

And RWD is so much more fun that FWD in snow.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver+Feb 17 2004, 03:27 AM-->QUOTE (detroit_raver @ Feb 17 2004, 03:27 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-jtkz13
@Feb 17 2004, 03:18 AM
ugh...i'm so sick of our roads. they fix them and than during the winter they are back to normal again, full of potholes and cracks.. i wish our roads were all smooth. they just black topped by my house this past summer..on 12 mile road between harper and jefferson. PERFECT place to race. its sooooo smooth. but i'm sure in a few months it'll be wrecked all ready. [/b]
sounds like philly.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I seek out 2000-ish Maximas when I want to race (which isn't that often.) It's always pretty even from 0-80. Maxima owners usually like to race. It's annoying when you get a good start with someone, and then they back off at 45-50. Of course, if this was a Civic forum, that would be a kill due to "mad top-end powah."

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah the '00-'03 look the same but the '00-'01 have the updated VQ30DE with 222hp which is the 3.0liter, but the '02-'03 have the new 3.5liter VQ35DE with 255hp which in other words dont play.

can u say torque steer. lol a joke at work
nvm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts